92-94 Cluster - needle stop, or internal stop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
On the 92-94 needles, to the guages have an internal stop, or a needle stop? I'd like to replace the needles, but I don't want to trash the calibration by doing so, when I pull the old ones off. Anyone know?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I'd say no.

That's from when I swapped a set into my 89.

Actually, it's still out in the garage sitting up on a shelf....never did get rid of it....

Last edited:

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
No needle stop, or no internal stop? lol

Guess I can snatch the needles off my non-tach IC and see what happens..

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
No needle stop, or no internal stop? lol

Guess I can snatch the needles off my non-tach IC and see what happens..

Neither I'm thinking.

There's no stop pin in the cluster an they were free floating with power off last time I checked the cluster....but that was a while ago. The speedo seems to drop until it hits the cluster casing and the tach just drops until it stops, which is well below "0" rpm as you can see...

ya know, I never thought about it before but looking at my own pics makes me think the needles are the same as the 95+ gauges. Might be worth pirating them off the old cluster for clear needles on my 98. Maybe see if the steppers motors are the same also and toss the rest. It's just taking up space it the garage anyways....

Last edited:

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
Neither I'm thinking.

There's no stop pin in the cluster an they were free floating with power off last time I checked the cluster....but that was a while ago. The speedo seems to drop until it hits the cluster casing and the tach just drops until it stops, which is well below "0" rpm as you can see...

ya know, I never thought about it before but looking at my own pics makes me think the needles as the same as the 95+ gauges. MIght be worth pirating them off the old cluster for clear needles on my 98. It's just taking up space it the garage anyways....

Hmm, that's going to make it "interesting" to keep the calibration when I swap needles, lol. Guess I'll just snap a photo and hope for the best, lol.

As an aside, is it just me, or are there dim spots in the stock tach IC cluster? All of the bulbs are working (I checked).

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Just pulled the face of the one in the garage.

The tach seems to have an internal stop somewhere below "0".

The speedo will go all the way around.

The water, oil and fuel will go all the way around and stop anywhere.

The amps will go all the way around but returns to the same spot on the left of the gauge. So, while there is no stop, it appears it has a "0"....

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
Just pulled the face of the one in the garage.

The tach seems to have an internal stop somewhere below "0".

The speedo will go all the way around.

The water, oil and fuel will go all the way around and stop anywhere.

The amps will go all the way around but returns to the same spot on the left of the gauge. So, while there is no stop, it appears it has a "0"....

I appreciate the help!