Moonie to needle cluster swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a nice setup! I have an 88 with an almost non-functional cluster. Had to run temporary temp, oil, volt cluster. Now fuel guage is bad. Speedo only functioning. Used units pulled from salvage yards don't work either. Bad harness or bad luck with used units.

Are there instructions on how to do this converstion? I have looked into new ready built clusters, but they are a bit pricey for the nice ones.

Thanks
I built it on the fly and didn't draw any blueprints.

If you factor in the $500 in parts and the 4 days to build it you can see why complete aftermarket instrument panels are so expensive.

Ilija Kovacevic

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The '91 needle cluster has the same connector as 88-91. 92-94 use a different connector. Ive replaced the moonies in my '89 with a '91 needle cluster with tach. From my understanding, you need to relocate 3 pins in the connector. I found this info when I did mine -

burkey05

OBS Enthusiast​

ok had a look at the two diagrams - 89 and 91, and here's the differences

Left dir - need to move wire from A11(89 clustrer) to A10(91)

gauge fuse - need to move wire from A10(89) to A9(91)

ground - need to move wire from B15(89) to B11(91)

B15 tach - run wire from coil to B15(91)

all the rest seem to line up correctly

If you look up the member burkey05, you can probably find the thread where I got that info from. I can't tell if it works though. I'm having other electrical problems which have kept me from testing instrument panel function. Good luck!
Thanx!! Much appreciated!! Hope you get rid of your electrical gremlins!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The '91 needle cluster has the same connector as 88-91. 92-94 use a different connector. Ive replaced the moonies in my '89 with a '91 needle cluster with tach. From my understanding, you need to relocate 3 pins in the connector. I found this info when I did mine -

burkey05

OBS Enthusiast​

ok had a look at the two diagrams - 89 and 91, and here's the differences

Left dir - need to move wire from A11(89 clustrer) to A10(91)

gauge fuse - need to move wire from A10(89) to A9(91)

ground - need to move wire from B15(89) to B11(91)

B15 tach - run wire from coil to B15(91)

all the rest seem to line up correctly

If you look up the member burkey05, you can probably find the thread where I got that info from. I can't tell if it works though. I'm having other electrical problems which have kept me from testing instrument panel function. Good luck!
Correct, to use a 1991 cluster in a 1988-1990 truck (or the opposite - a 1988-1990 cluster in a 1991 truck) you would have to do some minor re-pinning of the connector. OP has a 1991 truck already so the swap from 1991 moonies to 1991 needle gauges does not require any re-pinning.

Richard

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, to use a 1991 cluster in a 1988-1990 truck (or the opposite - a 1988-1990 cluster in a 1991 truck) you would have to do some minor re-pinning of the connector. OP has a 1991 truck already so the swap from 1991 moonies to 1991 needle gauges does not require any re-pinning.

Richard
I would think that the pins are configured for the circuit board within the instrument panel. It seems that it would make more sense for GM to relocate a couple of pins in the connector for the new instrument panel rather than reconfigure the circuit board in the old one.