91 Z71 Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another shot of the new set up, can't wait to install. Still need to get the old manifold studs out but it's been hot as hell in MD last couple days. Also doesn't help when cicadas are crawling up your ass.

You must be registered for see images attach

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had a small leak from the passenger side windshield. Re-sealed that and after some crazy rain storms was happy to see the leak was fixed until...

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heater core sounds backed up so I'm suspecting that unless it's coming in from the cowl...
Still need to do the exhaust...
Still need to fix the 4x4...
Too be continued...

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Antenna wire grommet leaking or the cowl plastic trim screw? That is the screw that holds the center cowl plastic trim down but goes right into the blower intake.

Edit:

There are two cowl trim screws and I forget which is which. One (green circle) is under the outermost trim. One of these goes into the blower intake. Pull the blower, grab a mirror to look up into the intake and you’ll see the screw sticking through. Hit the cowl with a hose and see if it drips.

Last edited:

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Antenna wire grommet leaking or the cowl plastic trim screw? That is the screw that holds the center cowl plastic trim down but goes right into the blower intake.

Edit:

There are two cowl trim screws and I forget which is which. One (green circle) is under the outermost trim. One of these goes into the blower intake. Pull the blower, grab a mirror to look up into the intake and you’ll see the screw sticking through. Hit the cowl with a hose and see if it drips.

Thank you much for the advice I will definitely check it out!
I have to take the cowl off again anyway because I forgot to plug back in the wiper fluid hose!
The fins on those outer trim pieces are sharp as hell lol

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update:
Fixed the 4x4... works awesome and engages instantly. Only problem is new acuator was only 1 plug, old was 2 plugs so now the 4x4 light stays on.
Will fix that down the road...

Was taking a quick spin around the neighborhood with my dad popped the steering wheel cover off and the nut spun off with my finger! Sketchy!
Pulled steering wheel off and a little white plastic piece snapped. Didn't seem to hurt anything, everything works fine and now my steering wheel isn't upside down.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exhaust - I was able to remove 2 out of the 6 manifold studs successfully using the 2 bolt method.
2 of them snapped off, the other 2 bolts are in bad shape.
Talked to a local shop and they want nothing to do with it, said it would be 100 bucks per bolt.
Going to try a speed out kit I have next, assuming that fails I will drill it out.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exhaust Fiasco Update -
After shooting both manifolds with PB blaster for a couple more days, watching youtube bolt removal videos, I grabbed the torch and a bolt extractor and tried again. Applied the heat, and went super slow. Looked like I was making progress until the stud finally sheared off. Damn it!
With 3 snapped bolts, and 1/2 of boogered stud remaining I talked to a friend who offered his welder. Thought about that and perhaps even carefully drilling the studs out but my fat ass is tired of being upside down on my back with little room or visibility to get this done.
Even when we get the studs out, the new Y Pipe Flanges will have to be drilled out slightly to fit right so took the drive of shame to another local shop for a 2nd opinion.
They seemed much more optimistic and agreed to try and remove the studs while keeping an eye on the labor. They also offered to install the new exhaust knowing the flanges weren't a perfect fit.
They are more into the performance stuff so excited to drop it off tomorrow and see what they are able to do.
Looking forward to getting over this hurdle!
Stay tuned! :popcorn: