It's finally mine - 1994 Chevrolet 1500 Z71. Purchased from original owner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southwest ORV

Reaction score
Hello friends,
Today is a fun day for me. I purchased my uncle Paul's 1994 Chevy 1500 Z71. He is the original owner, and this truck is an original Mesa, AZ truck. I have had my eye on this truck since the day he bought it. He purchased it new in August of 1994, and I remember that day clearly. He brought it straight over to a large family gathering, and we all walked around and admired his brand new truck. My 11 year old self was in love. All these years I kept an eye on it. He is an eye doctor and he has daily driven this truck since he bought it with one exception: in 2008 he purchased a new 3/4 ton Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 gas with all the bells and whistles. That truck was a true lemon, and I believe he had it less than a year. During that time his son took this truck up to Utah to college where I was also living and studying. I kept a seriously close eye on the truck during that time and made sure his son (my cousin) maintained it well...and when he didn't, I did. Uncle Paul quickly ditched the 2008 lemon and went back to daily driving his beloved old '94. He even drove it to work for the last time today. He has taken good care of it over the years, and although it's not perfect, it's in great shape for its age and it's still tight mechanically - original engine and transmission, with 219,000 miles on the odometer. Today I purchased it from him for $4000 and drove it three hours home, up to the White Mountains where we live. I set the cruise and 70mph and it happily climbed all the way home. A/C blows cold, it drives straight, sounds great, shifts great,...awesome. And now it's mine. Several memories I have with the truck over the years:
1. As an 11 year old I rode in this truck from Mesa AZ to a beach house vacation in California. Aug '04.
2. When it was still new, Uncle Paul brought his family up to our home in the White Mountains to visit. One cold morning I asked if I could start it to warm it up, he said yes, and I felt so cool starting up his new Chevy for him and turning on the defroster. Probably Jan-Feb 1995.
3. When I was a teen, he took us boating and I recall riding in the truck, pulling the boat to the lake. Probably summer of 1997.
4. One night my cousin called me and said the truck wouldn't start. I ran over to help him, towed the truck to my place, and replaced the starter at midnight. Probably December 2008.
5. One cold winter day my cousin said the truck didn't sound right. I popped the hood and checked the oil - nothing on the dipstick!! Bone dry dipstick. I put 2.5 quarts in it. Then I instructed him to check the oil more often. Probably January or February 2009.
6. I borrowed the truck one time to take a trip with my wife and two young kids to a cabin in the mountains, because it is 4wd. Probably December 2008.
You must be registered for see images attach

There are a handful of things it needs - new visors, new dash, new side molding strip, etc. I'm going to change the exhaust location in back...but I look forward to the process in the coming years. You guys have already been helpful! I'm happy to have joined the OBS Chevy/GMC club.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome! Both of my trucks have been in the family since they were new as well, the red truck was ordered by my dad and the Suburban was bought off a lot by my mom. Good on you for keeping it around.