9.25 ifs suburban swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked into it for a bit, but was too much of a PITA. Be cheaper easier and stronger just to go SAS. I wanted to do it for the 4.10s and 8 lug, have a van 14ff and H2 rims I want to run.

Lscobra

Reaction score
I decided if anything ill swap in a solid axle up front instead of fighting with it. Since my last post ive cranked the torsion bars, added bilstiens, all new ball joints and an alignment. 2” blocks in the rear.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you can source the parts, an SAS could be cheaper than an IFS lift. Maybe not for a 1/2 ton lift, but 3/4 and 1 tons are lil bit more. An outer rebuild kit for a Dana 44 was $650. But only need brake calipers/pads, and u joints. Comes with everything else. I have prolly $2k or more so far...

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
I have done this swap.. quite successfully ... the ride is much better than a SAS... and that was the goal.. as I had a Square body that rode like a tank ... especially since my ride wasn't going to be off roaded hard like I did with the Sq Bdy... if you check my thread in off road builds "sbss 1500 to 2500" I show quite a bit of the details how I pulled it off...

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
springs have come along way since the 80s, 90s, and even early 2000s. Shocks play a role as well. I had a 84 3/4 ton with the dual shocks up front. rougher than all hell. Had the lower bolt holding em together come out, replaced it but only used one shock, nite n day difference. Many people don't know that if running dual shocks then they need to be valved for dual shocks. Many people opted for Rough Country cause they were cheap, well, there is a reason why there called Rough Country. I had quite a few squares I built, and they rode pretty good for what they were. We'll see how my Yukon turns out, using 52s up front...

ddaxe

Reaction score
Ideally what I should of done was toss the 3/4 springs and used the 1500s... I only had single shocks in my ol Sq Bdy.. as I had 4 of them.. and still have 3 in the bone yard ... live n learn..[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I had my garage up when I first got it, I'd would have gone deeper into making it work. I have a lift on mine, and believe the upper arms are the same as 3/4 tons. But now if I take the IFS off it's staying off lol.

ddaxe

Reaction score
the upper control arms are different between 1/2 & 3/4 ton.. 3/4 being about 2"'s wider.. the bracket on the psgr side front diff is longer than the 1/2.. and front wheel bearings and CV shafts are totally different as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dunno what is going on with mine, but it has the wider upper arms on it. They almost look like homemade arms. I have pics on my phone I can post....