89 two gauge cluster to 90 five gauge cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did some searching and didn't quite find the info I needed. I have an 89 Cheyenne with the 2 gauge cluster (only fuel and speed). I'm not really trusting the computer to tell me when it's over heating, so I picked up a 5 gauge cluster from a 90. How plug and play is this going to be? Where do I look to see if I'm prewired for the additional gauges and that the sending units for voltage/oilpressure/coolant temp are?

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll reserect this thread since I just did this swap. My truck appears to be pre-wired for all of the 5 gauges, as they are all working just by swapping the two clusters. Only downside is that my truck now has another 143,000 miles on it because the cluster came from a really high mileage truck haha!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll reserect this thread since I just did this swap. My truck appears to be pre-wired for all of the 5 gauges, as they are all working just by swapping the two clusters. Only downside is that my truck now has another 143,000 miles on it because the cluster came from a really high mileage truck haha!

Can't you just swap the odometers in the clusters like you can with the newer ones? This write up is for 95+ but I'd imagine the process is very similar.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-t...cluster-swap-odometer-swap-step-motors.22821/

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't really see any way to pull the odometer out. Turns out the oil pressure gauge and temp gauge are not working. I have the service manuals, but they are pretty pitiful. My fear is that the truck isn't wired for those...

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If your old cluster is for idiot lights, perhaps the sending unit is different for a gauge? Maybe check a few places online.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
just ordered new senders from the local parts store, apparently there is a difference between the senders for switch/light only and the full gauges.

there is surprisingly little online about this swap.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sending units worked. At least I was able to get the coolant temp gauge to work. Before I ended up replacing the oil pressure unit, my motor gave up the ghost...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ouch! Too bad on the motor. Since you seem to like to improve things, now is your chance to drop in a 454!!
Why not keep the small block with a mild performance build instead of swapping in a boat anchor and having to buy an eco-mobile just to afford to drive the truck? There are newer options available too.