How To: Install 130mph Police Cluster, Swap Odometer, & Swap Step Motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I've found a few threads scattered between here, GMFS and I think TYF... But I figured maybe I could help out by posting some stuff from my own experience with gauge clusters on here. I can't really take credit for figuring this stuff out - I would have had a lot harder time figuring it out if it wasn't for other people's posts in various places. If there's anything at all you guys want me to add - let me know and I'll edit this accordingly.

In the past couple of months I've went from the stock 100mph cluster to a Escalade 120mph, and now to a Z56 130mph cluster. I've also ran across gauges that didn't work or had the "Buzzing" symptoms and I've swapped the step motors out between clusters.
All easy swaps, but maybe here we can put all the information together anyone will need for them.

Remove your gauge cluster. Afraid I didn't take any pictures of this process... But it's pretty straight forward. If you are removing your needles, be sure to take a CLOSE and detailed picture of where your needles are - probably with the key on and your truck cooled off. You can plug the gauges back in without the clear lense and reattach your needles later.

Remove the clear plastic cover by carefully prying the clips on the sides.

Turn the cluster over to reveal the 3 holes in the back where you will find clips that are holding the circuit board in place.
You must be registered for see images attach

GENTLY go to each one and push the board just enough to get it passed each clip. Once you've gotten that far, move from hole to hole - pushing the board in each spot just a bit until it completely comes out of the plastic case. Once you get it far enough out you can also pry a little in between the case and the cluster front... But don't apply much pressure because it will easily break.

The only thing holding the back to the gauges is a connection to the ribbon thread. You can disconnect this and pull them apart, but I just left it together most of the times I pulled them apart.

Replace The Odometer
You will need to remove (2) T15 Torx screws and unplug the ribbon cable from the circuit board. When pulling the odometer off, lift the left side first so you can slide the rod out of the red clip (Circled) that connects it to the Trip Odometer. Be careful not to damage the plastic retainer on the odometer wheels - it is most likely frail and will shatter if you tamper with it.
Reverse the process when installing the next one. You may have to turn the trip odometer a bit so that the red clip lights up with the rod to the odometer.

Replace/Swap Step Motor
If you want to repair your existing "Buzzing" gauge, you can also check out http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?15139-HOW-TO-Fix-Bouncy-Hummingbird-Fuel-Gauge-Needle&highlight=%2Bremove+%2Bbezel
Remove the needle of the gauge you are replacing. You can do this with a flat screwdriver - or simply pulling it off... But the easiest way to do this if you don't have a removal tool is by simply using a fork and prying them off.

I don't have a picture yet of the back of the step motors - but I will take one and edit this later when I get a chance.
To remove the motor you want to replace, simply take out the two screws (Also T15 Torx? I want to say smaller...) and pull it off. I believe there are 3 prongs that plug into the circuit board. Plug the new one in and replace screws.

Z56 Police Gauge Cluster
Escalade clusters will plug right in and work fine... But for some reason the police cluster has 2 extra pins on the plug and needs to be modified slighly.
For these to work, simply solder a wire between the GLOW PLUG and STS socket contacts and you're good.

Enjoy your new cluster. :)

Last edited:

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If one was to put one of these in a manual, how would you go about blacking out the PRND321 and the "apply break"

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if I sharpie would work or not, mabey several coats. I'm afraid when the dash lights are on it would shine through (just like coloring your needles with a sharpie)

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Hmm after reading that I went out to the garage and tried scraping off the white P with a razor blade. That just took off the paint all the way down to the clear plastic. I tried coloring it with a sharpie. Probably wouldn't be noticeable to someone that wasn't looking for it... But you can see it. Would look cleaner if you maybe taped off a solid square around all or it at once and colored it in.

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tape it all off but the square thats being painted, and use some satin or semi gloss paint mabey?