89 to 94 cluster swap drac module help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
I would like to swap my 89-91 gauge cluster to the 92-94 style with a tach. I have found some information on it, but it wasn’t not very much. I have diagrams for both clusters, and the only big difference I see is that the later style clusters use a DRAC module. Other than that, it will just be landing the wires in the right places, nothing else appears to be much different.

Have any of you all done this swap? If so, is the Drac module something I should grab from the junk yard when I get the cluster and connector? My truck originally had 3.73s and I now have 4.10s, I have also went with a slightly larger tire. I would be awesome to correct the speed, is that something that can be done at the drac module?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
I came across this link, it answered my tire and gear ratio question.

It looks like I should get the DRAC from the same truck the cluster came from. Everything else looks straight forward. I will post information as I do this.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The search function is your friend. The subject has been covered in detail. Your best option is to find a cluster from a 1991 truck. Like the Mooney gauges that came with your truck, the 91’ cluster has the DRAC module incorporated into it. It is by far the easiest way to do the swap. I did it several years ago and I’m very happy with it. Note that this was a one-year design only for 91’

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
I tried searching but didn’t come up with much on this site, I did find a few from other sites. Mods are welcome to remove it, I don’t want to clutter up the site with repeat topics.

I tried looking for a 91 cluster with a tach but they are rare. 92-94s are much easier to source. I also discovered that Dakota Digital makes a signal interface that should work the same as a DRAC. It has various outputs and you can adjust it to the correct speed. I will go that route most likely since it’s the easiest to source.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Theres a lot of info no this site, you just have to find it. Here is a photo where you replace the jumpers that set the speed with dip switches, just makes it easier to adjust.

Attachments

• drac 6dip.jpg
    drac 6dip.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 28

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Dude just get a DRAC module from the same truck you get the cluster from. You'll need the harness pigtails too, for not only the cluster but the DRAC as well.

No need to complicate it.. the info is out there, it sounds like you have it, just look over it with a clear head and collect your parts. Nothing aftermarket is needed (other than the DIP switches..) by the way that's my hand in the picture posted above showing off the DIP switch modded DRAC in my '94 C2500LD. :D

Richard