89 Silverado 350, Thermostat change, belt tensioner bracket.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's just a strut,two nuts and it's off. What's the big deal?
Yeah, it takes 5 minutes at the most. The tensioner spring is 15mm or 16mm I can't remember which. Simply use a breaker bar and slip the belt off. Then use the other socket to unscrew the tensioner and strut/brace (or whatever you call it).

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, now that I see a pic, that should just be two nuts to remove and then lift the strut piece out of the way. The worst that can happen is when you try and remove the top nut at the thermostat housing, the whole stud turns instead of just the top nut. Then you have to snake in under the end of the strut with a wrench to hold the nut below or the nut that is actually a part of the stud. Crows feet tools come in handy then.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a big deal, Was just wondering for anyone who had same setup as mine, If they got away with just removing the one nut to lift that rod up high enough to get the stat out. But the angle of the rod is not going to do it looks like. Goofy set up for just two nuts LOL, My 95 is not like that, the 95 rod is on right side of manifold. Soooo Gotta do it the correct way, remove the entire tensioner idler wheel assembly, upper and lower mounting rods. The top rod does NOT come off by just removing the nut. The entire unit has to be removed.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a big deal, Was just wondering for anyone who had same setup as mine, If they got away with just removing the one nut to lift that rod up high enough to get the stat out. But the angle of the rod is not going to do it looks like. Goofy set up for just two nuts LOL, My 95 is not like that, the 95 rod is on right side of manifold. Soooo Gotta do it the correct way, remove the entire tensioner idler wheel assembly, upper and lower mounting rods. The top rod does NOT come off by just removing the nut. The entire unit has to be removed.
Well that sucks! That strut is welded to the tensioner arm bracket? Must have been designed by that engineer that finished 99 out of the hundred in his class. I don't know when GM started with the aluminum brackets like on my truck. Must have been after they fired that guy,

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep your eyes peeled for the later style aluminum brackets,they make servicing components much easier.
Yeah, it sure stays in alignment, But holy crap!! just to change the stat out GRRRRR LOL.. I never seen one that way before? And the video I think is a V6.. Big pain in Butt, But sure keeps it inline.

Last edited:

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, now that I see a pic, that should just be two nuts to remove and then lift the strut piece out of the way. The worst that can happen is when you try and remove the top nut at the thermostat housing, the whole stud turns instead of just the top nut. Then you have to snake in under the end of the strut with a wrench to hold the nut below or the nut that is actually a part of the stud. Crows feet tools come in handy then.
The strut brace is welded at top. Looks factory work... Very clean! Not a 5 minute job..