88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Ill trade you 2 99s a 98 a 85 and a 90
:lol: i'm good. I have enough going on.

-------------------

Tore it down, built it back up. lets hope this go-round lasts.
You must be registered for see images attach

New clutch. I ordered the Centerforce II, but they were out of stock and didn't tell me (growls) so I ended up talking my way into the dual friction for the same price. This has a bit more meat to it than the AC Delco Unit.

So, got it all together, and let me tell you, what a world of difference. I think the combination of the centerforce clutch and the GM Performance slave cylinder really made all the difference. Been prepping the truck for a big trip camping as well. Recent work such as:

Rebuilt Transmission
New clutch
New slave cylinder
Clutch hydraulic flush
Brake fluid flush w. DOT4
Coolant flush, replaced with 3M synthetic coolant
Full Lube of suspension/steering & u-joints
Oil change
New steering stabilizer
New rear-main seal

Lets hope the ol' girl is up to the task of camper and trailer with quad and CJ5 up over the cascades and the rockies.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
[emoji38] i'm good. I have enough going on.

-------------------

Tore it down, built it back up. lets hope this go-round lasts.

New clutch. I ordered the Centerforce II, but they were out of stock and didn't tell me (growls) so I ended up talking my way into the dual friction for the same price. This has a bit more meat to it than the AC Delco Unit.

So, got it all together, and let me tell you, what a world of difference. I think the combination of the centerforce clutch and the GM Performance slave cylinder really made all the difference. Been prepping the truck for a big trip camping as well. Recent work such as:

Rebuilt Transmission
New clutch
New slave cylinder
Clutch hydraulic flush
Brake fluid flush w. DOT4
Coolant flush, replaced with 3M synthetic coolant
Full Lube of suspension/steering & u-joints
Oil change
New steering stabilizer
New rear-main seal

Lets hope the ol' girl is up to the task of camper and trailer with quad and CJ5 up over the cascades and the rockies.
Worth a shot lol

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
My truck, camper and the cargo trailer was right about 16,000 and that was a "light" trip for me (dogs were at home, 1 less person than normal, less food/fuel)......

Now this is a 9 day trip... so more food and gear. We are carrying 45 gallons of race fuel (300 LBS), a CJ5 (2,700 LBS), and this trailer is about 300 LBS heavier than my cargo. So.... By my guess I will be in the 18,500 to 20,000 ballpark GCWR

Torchred

Carolina Can
Reaction score
My truck, camper and the cargo trailer was right about 16,000 and that was a "light" trip for me (dogs were at home, 1 less person than normal, less food/fuel)......

Now this is a 9 day trip... so more food and gear. We are carrying 45 gallons of race fuel (300 LBS), a CJ5 (2,700 LBS), and this trailer is about 300 LBS heavier than my cargo. So.... By my guess I will be in the 18,500 to 20,000 ballpark GCWR

Wow thats a lot

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
He's got a 454 K3500 dually with a 5 speed and air bags... that's the best the factory Tow Rig set up you can get with a GMT400 without getting into the 98-00 3500HD trucks with leaf springs or without completely rebuilding or converting the drivetrain to another motor/trans...

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
He's got a 454 K3500 dually with a 5 speed and air bags... that's the best the factory Tow Rig set up you can get with a GMT400 without getting into the 98-00 3500HD trucks with leaf springs or without completely rebuilding or converting the drivetrain to another motor/trans...

Actually, Devin (83GMCK2500) has a 96 extended cab K3500 with a NV4500 and 4.56 gears.

Technically I should have a 2wd regular cab for the best weight rating :lol:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
For some reason towing with a 2wd makes me nervous. No idea why they just dont seem as capable to me