88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Looking good Dave! How do you like those ST Maxx's for towing? Might not be as noticeable with the duals but when first got mine put on it was hard to get used to them. Not sure if it's side-wall flex or just the tread flexing around (they are pretty soft rubber), but they seem to have a lot of sideways movement when driving through curves compared to other 10ply tires I've had, even with the PSI pumped up to 80.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Looking good Dave! How do you like those ST Maxx's for towing? Might not be as noticeable with the duals but when first got mine put on it was hard to get used to them. Not sure if it's side-wall flex or just the tread flexing around (they are pretty soft rubber), but they seem to have a lot of sideways movement when driving through curves compared to other 10ply tires I've had, even with the PSI pumped up to 80.

I actually did notice a difference in the sidewall height and agree the seem to have more sideways flex. I didn't mind it though.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
I actually did notice a difference in the sidewall height and agree the seem to have more sideways flex. I didn't mind it though.

Well good luck with them! I've only got 15K on mine and they're about shot, but some alignment problems and too much rough off road time have caused premature wear on them haha.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Looking great!

I still need your friends Yellow ZR-2.

:jester:
I will let him know :)

Well good luck with them! I've only got 15K on mine and they're about shot, but some alignment problems and too much rough off road time have caused premature wear on them haha.
You are the second person to say they wore out quickly on their GMT400. I sure hope they don't.... Do you tow or haul much?

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
First 10K miles were spent about half of it hauling 2 tons of hay and half off road four wheelin. One bad creek crossing took a couple of chunks out of the tread, and a small cut in the sidewall on one of the rears. Last 5K has only been easier driving with hardly any towing, just a couple of bikes or snowmobiles. For some reason two of mine wore really bad in the centers over the last year, and they were at 35psi so i know they weren't overinflated.
At the same time, my uncle has a set of them on his 89 with about the same miles as mine and they look new in comparison. Maybe some are good and some aren't?

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Wich spacers did you order from motorsports? Were they billet or the steel?

Sent from my SM-N910P

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
First 10K miles were spent about half of it hauling 2 tons of hay and half off road four wheelin. One bad creek crossing took a couple of chunks out of the tread, and a small cut in the sidewall on one of the rears. Last 5K has only been easier driving with hardly any towing, just a couple of bikes or snowmobiles. For some reason two of mine wore really bad in the centers over the last year, and they were at 35psi so i know they weren't overinflated.
At the same time, my uncle has a set of them on his 89 with about the same miles as mine and they look new in comparison. Maybe some are good and some aren't?
Hum good to know. Well I'm pretty easy on tires it seems.

Wich spacers did you order from motorsports? Were they billet or the steel?

Sent from my SM-N910P
Steel.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
With the 02 GMC down, I decided to park it awhile and pull the 88 out of storage... Here it is next to it's younger brethren. Between these two trucks I can light up the world.
You must be registered for see images attach

And, just to show how slide in campers are a PITA, here is the clearance of the tires to the front jacks. No room for error here!
You must be registered for see images attach