88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A small update. I'm slowly getting all of the parts together to get this swap properly underway very soon. I imagine it'll still be a month out, but I'm making progress. I removed the 5.9 from the donor truck and have been getting it stripped down, ready to clean up and freshen up.

I went a bit nuts and ordered a ton of parts from Power Driven Diesel. I ordered their 500hp kit along with their AFC Live. I'm not going to make 500hp with the smaller injection pump on this '94 5.9 but we'll see how it does in the long run. STILL waiting on the bigger turbo and some of the gaskets and internal parts I ordered.

Still need to order engine mounts, bellhousing, input shaft, exhaust (going to use a 4" Diamond Eye kit for a 6.5 and a 4" HX40 downpipe). I'll end up ordering ARP head studs as well since just going back with new head bolts is still ~$150!

When I picked up the donor truck I was offered a '79 Ford Dana 60 high pinion front axle and the Sky Offroad kit to fit my truck. The seller had the same plans I do but ended up selling his truck before beginning the project(s). I won't do the SAS anytime before next summer, but ultimately it'll get the Dana 60 up front.

A quick update, but there it is. Once I have all of the parts I KNOW I'll need on-hand and ready to go, the 454 will come out and we'll get things started. I'm still waiting on a buddy to get one of his project cars out of my garage before I can really get things started anyway.

-Brian
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Great to see the progress continuing on the same thread. Makes it much easier to look back and see just how far this thing has come and it kinda gives a nod to the truck's legacy in a way. Love it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be easier just to find a Chrysler NV4500. Just saying.
Yeah, but there isn't really any strategic advantage in finding one, at least not in my case. All I need is a few parts from it, but to buy one, even a used one with lots of miles would still be probably $1,500 or more. Besides that, going this route just allows me to keep everything from the input shaft to the transfer case all GM. Less work in the long run.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Yeah, but there isn't really any strategic advantage in finding one, at least not in my case. All I need is a few parts from it, but to buy one, even a used one with lots of miles would still be probably $1,500 or more. Besides that, going this route just allows me to keep everything from the input shaft to the transfer case all GM. Less work in the long run.

I got mine from a junk yard for $350.

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine from a junk yard for $350.
Well, then you got a deal. That is the exception, and most definitely, not the rule with these transmissions and engines. Seems like anything that came from a Cummins powered Dodge is stupid expensive. Oh well. In the end, I paid around $500 for what I needed, but it's all brand new I'm already to hold on, so it's not a big deal. Hopefully it will arrive next week and I can get started.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Well, then you got a deal. That is the exception, and most definitely, not the rule with these transmissions and engines. Seems like anything that came from a Cummins powered Dodge is stupid expensive. Oh well. In the end, I paid around $500 for what I needed, but it's all brand new I'm already to hold on, so it's not a big deal. Hopefully it will arrive next week and I can get started.

But I just had it rebuilt but with Cryo parts. so I wound up paying $1500 to bullet proof it. It is now rated from 475 to now 613 ft-lb of torque.

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I just had it rebuilt but with Cryo parts. so I wound up paying $1500 to bullet proof it. It is now rated from 475 to now 613 ft-lb of torque.
Yeah, there is that, but again, you got a deal from the very beginning. I'm running with foot my truck head in it to begin with, which is it reasonably fresh to begin with. We will just see how does and upgrade as necessary.

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slowly but surely the parts are rolling in and I'm making some progress on the build. I've spent some time getting the engine cleaned and ready. The short block is ready, just waiting to get the head back from the machine shop. A few more parts should show up by this weekend and it will be ready to reassemble. Once the engine runs on the stand and is ready to go, Ill go ahead and yank the 454 out. I'm almost scared to total everything up but it's going to so much more capable for my needs; I can't wait.