88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect Vette performance from a NA big block from the late 90s with an 80e lol. As long as it holds it's speed I'd say it's doing well hahaha. Imagine my tired old 350 hauling that. It's why I use the wife's jeep instead. The diesel in it just pulls so much better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
nv4500*

Cummins/g56 swap would be sweet

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
nv4500*

Cummins/g56 swap would be sweet
Yes, it would! Quite honestly, that's probably not far off from the reality of where I'd like this truck to be. It all depends on donor truck availability, Etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
if it were mine id look at other big block options like the 502 or 8.1 from a newer truck but im assuming your going to packing on the miles so for your wallets sake i think a diesel would be a better option

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it were mine id look at other big block options like the 502 or 8.1 from a newer truck but im assuming your going to packing on the miles so for your wallets sake i think a diesel would be a better option
Yeah, MPGs definitely matter for my purposes. I've already Cummins swapped 2 GMT400 trucks and, in my opinion, it is THE way to go. The power and economy are really nicely balanced. The 8.1 is a great engine, but the MPGs are too important for me.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, MPGs definitely matter for my purposes. I've already Cummins swapped 2 GMT400 trucks and, in my opinion, it is THE way to go. The power and economy are really nicely balanced. The 8.1 is a great engine, but the MPGs are too important for me.

What all did you swap during the cummins swap - any dodge parts, or all cummins? 12 or 24 v?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Im definitely no stranger to towing all kinds of stuff. The truck isn't supercharged anymore. Don't get me wrong, it does the job, it's just not winning any races doing it.

Oh, I missed the part where the blower was gone. I feel your pain then as I'm still NA myself.

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I figured I'd take a minute to give an update on the truck. So far it's been a great truck. I've put over 10,000 miles on it since buying it in the winter and it's been great... well, mostly.

The 454 is a bit of a gas hog for our purposes as a tow rig. With our ~8000lb camper in tow, we are lucky to get 6mpg and acceleration is laughable. I talked a while back about doing a Cummins swap on this thing and it is officially happening. It's what this truck needs to be a competent tow rig, at least for our purposes here in the mountains and hills where we live.

A few weeks back I picked up a Ram 2500 donor truck and yanked the engine from it. I will be reusing the GM NV4500 with a Dodge clutch, bellhousing and input shaft. I'll retain the rest of the running gear for now, although it will likely need to be regeared but we'll see how it does with the 4.10s, at least to start. I also have a 79 Dana 60 to go in, but that's a different project for the future.

So in addition to doing the swap itself, I will be upgrading the Cummins to get more modern power potential out of the truck. In early November, I won a contest put on by power driven diesel, in which I entered my dad's 2005 Ram 3500 to have its horsepower doubled. We drove out to Utah and got to talk with the guys at their shop and I got a lot of good information on what to do for my swap. I picked up one of their 500 horsepower packages which included injectors, delivery valves, Governor Springs, they're AFC live kit, and a host of other goodies. I picked up a larger Turbo and a Southbend clutch setup. Although I doubt the truck will make 500 horsepower, based largely on its smaller 160 injection pump, it should still make significantly more horsepower than the 454 to the wheels, and have two or three times as much torque. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm going to get the donor engine cleaned up, and going through. I want to make sure that it's in good shape, cleaned up, and resealed before it goes in the dually. Once the engine and transmission are ready to go in the truck, I will begin to remove the 454 and Associated parts. I'm sure this process is going to take me a few months, but I can't wait. I just figured I would share as it had been a long time since I had really posted any updates.

I'll try to document the process, as I go, to continue the truck's story.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, we'll be expecting daily updates on this. Depending on your engine and accessory mount selection, doesn't this necessitate either a body lift or cowl hood?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I figured I'd take a minute to give an update on the truck. So far it's been a great truck. I've put over 10,000 miles on it since buying it in the winter and it's been great... well, mostly.

The 454 is a bit of a gas hog for our purposes as a tow rig. With our ~8000lb camper in tow, we are lucky to get 6mpg and acceleration is laughable. I talked a while back about doing a Cummins swap on this thing and it is officially happening. It's what this truck needs to be a competent tow rig, at least for our purposes here in the mountains and hills where we live.

A few weeks back I picked up a Ram 2500 donor truck and yanked the engine from it. I will be reusing the GM NV4500 with a Dodge clutch, bellhousing and input shaft. I'll retain the rest of the running gear for now, although it will likely need to be regeared but we'll see how it does with the 4.10s, at least to start. I also have a 79 Dana 60 to go in, but that's a different project for the future.

So in addition to doing the swap itself, I will be upgrading the Cummins to get more modern power potential out of the truck. In early November, I won a contest put on by power driven diesel, in which I entered my dad's 2005 Ram 3500 to have its horsepower doubled. We drove out to Utah and got to talk with the guys at their shop and I got a lot of good information on what to do for my swap. I picked up one of their 500 horsepower packages which included injectors, delivery valves, Governor Springs, they're AFC live kit, and a host of other goodies. I picked up a larger Turbo and a Southbend clutch setup. Although I doubt the truck will make 500 horsepower, based largely on its smaller 160 injection pump, it should still make significantly more horsepower than the 454 to the wheels, and have two or three times as much torque. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm going to get the donor engine cleaned up, and going through. I want to make sure that it's in good shape, cleaned up, and resealed before it goes in the dually. Once the engine and transmission are ready to go in the truck, I will begin to remove the 454 and Associated parts. I'm sure this process is going to take me a few months, but I can't wait. I just figured I would share as it had been a long time since I had really posted any updates.

I'll try to document the process, as I go, to continue the truck's story.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
cool :) Keep up the good work and giving that truck love.