88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93crewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still making progress...slowly. Got the head back last week and am almost ready to install it. Had to get the rocker pedestals machined for the ARP head studs and a few other misc items taken care of first.

Also got the custom motor mounts from SSOR. They are specifically made for the GMT400/Cummins swaps. Expensive, but I was happy when I saw the welds. They mimic the 2nd gen Dodge setup which are arguably stronger than the 1st gen style.

Anyway, I wish I had more GMT400 specific stuff to show right now, but I'm still getting the engine cleaned up, resealed and put back together. I should be able to get it fired up this week and then the teardown of the 454 will begin after the weekend of February 8th.

For what it's worth, I cannot wait to really get this project underway.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
How much were the mounts?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those motor mounts look NICE!! :waytogo:

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched a video on YouTube with deboss garage where he interviewed a guy who Cummins swapped a k3500 crew cab. They mentioned something about shimming up one of the motor mounts so the oil pan would clear the front diff. I’m sure you buying motor mounts made for this swap would help that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I have seen that video a few times. It's good motivation for my project. I've actually tried to walk every single possible video on these types of builds hopefully give me an understanding of potential pitfalls before I encounter them. The motor mounts that I went with actually bias the motor off center, the same way that the factory engine sits in the frame.

I'm hoping that I don't have to do much clearancing, although I know I will have to make a few modifications to the motor mount pads and some of the bracing. As far as the diff, I'm hoping that all I should need to do is replace a few of the bolts that hold the dip halves together with countersunk bolts. I would be surprised if I had any other clearance issues with the dip. Of course, all of that will ultimately be a moot point as I will be replacing the ifs with a Dana 60 that I already have.

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few more pics of the progress, slow as it is!

The engine is almost ready to fire up on the stand. It's been a very slow going build at this point but I'm happy that at there is SOME progress. A friend picked up his car that I'd been storing for a while so I've finally got the garage space to get the dually inside and torn apart. Save for figuring out the alternator and AC compressor layout, I now have all of the major parts for the swap in my possession.

That's all for now. I am shooting to have the swap complete by the end of March, close to the beginning of camping season (which is the truck's primary purpose).

Hopefully I'll get to show some REAL progress pics of the actual swap in process soon. Haven't figured out why yet, but it seems like free time, energy and motivation for projects like these is in shorter supply as I've gotten older... haha

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the engine fired up last weekend. Sounds awesome!

We got started on the truck teardown today. I still need to disconnect the fuel lines, motor mounts and a couple minor things, but the 454 is pretty much ready to come out. One question, what have y'all used as lift points on these engines? Doesn't seem like a whole lot of good places to hook the chains.

Anyway, here's where she sits as of right now. Hopefully I'll get another opportunity to work on it this coming week sometime.

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometime the best way is to pull the plenum or lower intake. I know when pulling 5.3 or 6.0 engines I pull the intake and put a bolt on the back of the head and a bolt on the opposite head front of the head. I do have an assortment of factory engine hooks from all different makes and models. If you go on the head the bolt and bracket need to be flat agents the head surface. Not just a few threads threw a chain loop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wrap a chain around the exhaust manifold on one side and find an accessory bolt hole on the front opposite side of that.