88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Discussion in 'Member Trucks' started by 88GMCtruck, Aug 16, 2013.

1. 93crewcab

93crewcab I'm Awesome

How much were the mounts?

2. DanteGTZ

DanteGTZ Newbie

$399

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Old77

Old77 Super Moderator Staff Member

Those motor mounts look NICE!! :waytogo:

4. dhunt

dhunt OBS Enthusiast

I watched a video on YouTube with deboss garage where he interviewed a guy who Cummins swapped a k3500 crew cab. They mentioned something about shimming up one of the motor mounts so the oil pan would clear the front diff. I’m sure you buying motor mounts made for this swap would help that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DanteGTZ

DanteGTZ Newbie

Yeah, I have seen that video a few times. It's good motivation for my project. I've actually tried to walk every single possible video on these types of builds hopefully give me an understanding of potential pitfalls before I encounter them. The motor mounts that I went with actually bias the motor off center, the same way that the factory engine sits in the frame.

I'm hoping that I don't have to do much clearancing, although I know I will have to make a few modifications to the motor mount pads and some of the bracing. As far as the diff, I'm hoping that all I should need to do is replace a few of the bolts that hold the dip halves together with countersunk bolts. I would be surprised if I had any other clearance issues with the dip. Of course, all of that will ultimately be a moot point as I will be replacing the ifs with a Dana 60 that I already have.

6. DanteGTZ

DanteGTZ Newbie

A few more pics of the progress, slow as it is!

The engine is almost ready to fire up on the stand. It's been a very slow going build at this point but I'm happy that at there is SOME progress. A friend picked up his car that I'd been storing for a while so I've finally got the garage space to get the dually inside and torn apart. Save for figuring out the alternator and AC compressor layout, I now have all of the major parts for the swap in my possession.

That's all for now. I am shooting to have the swap complete by the end of March, close to the beginning of camping season (which is the truck's primary purpose).

Hopefully I'll get to show some REAL progress pics of the actual swap in process soon. Haven't figured out why yet, but it seems like free time, energy and motivation for projects like these is in shorter supply as I've gotten older... haha[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. BlastingBat998

BlastingBat998 OBS Enthusiast

This is the most well put together and planned out swap i've ever seen on here...
    really good inspiration for my future swap.