88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, we'll be expecting daily updates on this. Depending on your engine and accessory mount selection, doesn't this necessitate either a body lift or cowl hood?
I dont know about daily updates... hehe

As far as the install, the way I'm going to do it wont require a body lift and if I can make the AC compressor work where I want to, I wont need a cowl hood (although I do want one).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely looking forward to updates on this. I've had some thoughts about swapping my 454; but I don't think I could ever bring myself to go through with it;
Looks amazing with the topper on!

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely looking forward to updates on this. I've had some thoughts about swapping my 454; but I don't think I could ever bring myself to go through with it;
Looks amazing with the topper on!

When I bought the truck I hadn't planned on the swap initially. It wasn't until we really started towing the camper every other weekend that the 454's power and fuel economy began to become issues. Going more than ~2 hours away was becoming very expensive in fuel and the lack of power on the hills was becoming aggravating. That has helped to solidify the decision for me. As much as it pains me (to a point) to make such a radical change, I think it will be for the best.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you can stomach the dismal fuel economy, a blower REALLY wakes up the 454. Camper only I pulled 9.5mpg on the single 150 mile leg I checked, and that was climbing from 6000# to 9000# all interstate. Camper and trailer combined, well, we'll see next June when I make my annual pilgrimage to OK. I don't check economy on the local pulls as I can typically do it with a tank or less. Trailer only I think I was in the 7 range pulling from MI to CO and I was doing 75 on the interstate most of the time locked in OD. The blower exceeded my expectations on my dually and I still have headers to add, front pipes to upgrade, and another size down to go on the blower pulley. And, of course, meth is not off the table.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can stomach the dismal fuel economy, a blower REALLY wakes up the 454. Camper only I pulled 9.5mpg on the single 150 mile leg I checked, and that was climbing from 6000# to 9000# all interstate. Camper and trailer combined, well, we'll see next June when I make my annual pilgrimage to OK. I don't check economy on the local pulls as I can typically do it with a tank or less. Trailer only I think I was in the 7 range pulling from MI to CO and I was doing 75 on the interstate most of the time locked in OD. The blower exceeded my expectations on my dually and I still have headers to add, front pipes to upgrade, and another size down to go on the blower pulley. And, of course, meth is not off the table.

Damn, I figured you'd be down around 5 or 6 pulling that circus. That gives me some hope for what my truck might manage once it's dialed in.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You planning on using M1 methanol straight or a Water/Methanol Mixture?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You planning on using M1 methanol straight or a Water/Methanol Mixture?

Not sure, no real plan yet because there are a jillion other things in line in front of it. But I do have those Whipple injector ports to use and some good ideas were put in my thread to have it gank timing if I run out of juice. The amount of heat that big block throws off is insane, and that's with rock solid coolant temps.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Is this a Dodge NV4500 or GM NV4500? They are slightly different. The dodge one is a little more beefier than the GM in the input shaft do to it being slightly larger. The splines are different in the output of the main shaft. Dodge NV4500 has issues with 5th sliding off the counter shaft while towing. There is a fix for that. GM doesn't have that problem since it has a retaining nut and sleeve holding it in place. I don't know if you can mod a GM to Dodge or vice versa but dodge also came out with NV5600 which was behind there Cummins. But before you install the NV4500, I would cryo treat the input shaft, counter shaft, 3rd gear, and main shaft which it will give it 30% more strength. Make sure you check the tranny over before install. For example, my GM NV4500 I just got back from A&A transmissions in Yukon, OK, it has now has been modified. In it's stock configuration I had an input torque of 475lb-ft. After having the main shaft replaced since I stripped the splines along with the Gearvendors coupler, I ordered it cryoed. When removing the tranny I found the bell housing bolts on the driver side from tranny stripped. The tranny mount had one ear broken off and the other side cracked. The input shaft where the piolet bushing touched was worn badly. So I ordered the input shaft as well. Then had the counter and third shipped to Midwest transmissions for cryo treatment. I'm now in the process of putting it in. My new input torque is 613lb-ft. If you like more information on upgrading your NV3500,4500, and 5600 PM me and I can route you to the right people. If you get the NV5600 Cryoed then your input torque will be 706lb-ft. Lastly, I like to add, I also had a bearing and 2nd gear synco go bad prematurely. This is due to not having the right oil in it and in the GM version fills a quart lower than the Dodge. If you have the GM version then fill it to the fill port then add a quart to the top. Castrol does not make the oil used in this particular transmission. GM and Dodge still has them. GM part #12346190 and Chrysler part #4874459. Amsoil has started making it as well and is little cheaper then GM and Chrysler, Theirs is Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90.

GM NV4500 Transmission
The 1992-1994 GM NV4500 transmission had an extremely low first gear ratio of 6.34, a 3.44 2nd gear, a 1.71 3rd gear and a 4.685” front bolt pattern. In 1995, the GM NV4500 received the same 5.61 first gear ratio and 6.043” bolt pattern that was found in the Dodge NV4500, along with a 3.04 2nd gear and a 1.67 3rd gear. A fully synchronized reverse gear was also added, and the front bearing retainer grew from 5.125” to 5.6” in diameter. Noticeable differences on the GM NV4500 4WD transmission include a 1 1/8” x 6 5/8” 10 spline input shaft (0.590” pilot tip), and a 32 spline output shaft, with an 8 1/8” tail housing.

GM NV4500 Transmission Gear Ratios
1st = 6.34 | 5.61
2nd = 3.44 | 3.04
3rd = 1.71 | 1.67
4th = 1.00
5th = 0.73 | 0.75
R = 6.34 | 5.61 | 5.04 (after 1998)

Dodge NV4500 Transmission
Used in Dodge trucks from 1992 – 1997, the Dodge NV4500 had a higher gear ratio than the GM variant. It shared the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 1995 – 2005 GM version. But all forward and reverse gears were fully synchronized with carbon fiber composite synchronizer rings, and dual cone synchronizers for first and second gear. The NV4500 1-2 synchronizer assembly also had an integrated interlock mechanism that would prevent accidental 2-1 down shifts at higher speeds. There was a concentric internal hydraulic slave cylinder with an integrated throw-out bearing. And 1992 versions got a 19 spline, 1” diameter input shaft. 1993 and up models had a 1.25” diameter input shaft with 10 splines. 2WD versions got a 30 spline output shaft, 4WD got a 23 spline output shaft, but that was changed to a 29 spline shaft after 2001.

Dodge NV4500 Transmission Gear Ratios
1st = 5.61
2nd = 3.04
3rd = 1.67
4th = 1.00
5th = 0.75
R = 5.61 | 5.04 (after 1998)

NV4500 Transmission Gear Ratios
1st = 6.34 | 5.61
2nd = 3.44 | 3.04
3rd = 1.71 | 1.67
4th = 1.00
5th = 0.73 | 0.75
R = 6.34 | 5.61 | 5.04 (after 1998)

NV5600 Technical Specs
Case: Cast-iron with aluminum bellhousing
Torque capacity: 550 lb-ft
Weight: 360 lbs
Fluid capacity: 4.75 – 5 qts
Fluid type: Mopar manual transmission fluid PN 4874464

NV5600 Transmission Gear Ratios

1st = 5.63
2nd = 3.38
3rd = 2.04
4th = 1.39
5th = 1.00
6th = 0.73
R = 5.63

Common NV5600 Transmission Problems
Rear bearing failure
Cracked transmission case
Synchronizer failures

Last edited:

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a Dodge NV4500 or GM NV4500? They are slightly different. The dodge one is a little more beefier than the GM in the input shaft do to it being slightly larger. The splines are different in the output of the main shaft. Dodge NV4500 has issues with 5th sliding off the counter shaft while towing. There is a fix for that. GM doesn't have that problem since it has a retaining nut and sleeve holding it in place. I don't know if you can mod a GM to Dodge or vice versa but dodge also came out with NV5600 which was behind there Cummins. But before you install the NV4500, I would cryo treat the input shaft, counter shaft, 3rd gear, and main shaft which it will give it 30% more strength. Make sure you check the tranny over before install. For example, my GM NV4500 I just got back from A&A transmissions in Yukon, OK, it has now has been modified. In it's stock configuration I had an input torque of 475lb-ft. After having the main shaft replaced since I stripped the splines along with the Gearvendors coupler, I ordered it cryoed. When removing the tranny I found the bell housing bolts on the driver side from tranny stripped. The tranny mount had one ear broken off and the other side cracked. The input shaft where the piolet bushing touched was worn badly. So I ordered the input shaft as well. Then had the counter and third shipped to Midwest transmissions for cryo treatment. I'm now in the process of putting it in. My new input torque is 613lb-ft. If you like more information on upgrading your NV3500,4500, and 5600 PM me and I can route you to the right people.

The 4500 I'll be using is the GM version already in my truck. I'll be ordering an Advanced Adapters kit for the bellhousing and other parts I'll need. I will pro ably use the trans as is, for now, just to keep overall costs down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk