88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Patience folks, lol. He’s out on his ritual Thanksgiving camping trip. He’s been getting the 2006 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT ready for use since we went and picked it up last weekend. (Also putting the Black Fox back together from its latest tantrum.) All will be revealed soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well it's been over a week and still no update on this man's treachery. I doubt he's still camping.

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Plus I don’t have instagram so this is all I have [emoji1]

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Did you wire the mirror cameras to be able to turn on without being in reverse? If you did, what are you using for a switch?
It's all done through the headunit, turns on in reverse but can also be activated while driving through it. Really common car stereo stuff here.

What trans is in the suburban? Will it be getting a nv4500?
It's just a stock 4L80E and no, i'm not planning to convert it to a NV4500, even though it would be kinda fun.

Dave say it ain't so. I saw your Instagram post;
Somebody better elaborate on this.
It's all good
You must be registered for see images attach
Ya just HAD to post that here...... Can't keep a secret!

I was hoping Dave would've seen it and chimed in,
Looks like we might had a DMax on Welds and Coopers and a Whipple equipped 454 stepside?
Both of those are potential things.

If he did I hope is an 06 or newer
LOLOL what do you think I am, stupid?

Well damn. I know that Dave will do up the Duramax nice but I'm curious as to what happened to the Black Fox. Did the mileage and nv4500 issues get to be more than he felt like dealing with?
Just speculation here, but its probably got aomething to do with his nv4500s having 4l60e tendencies lol
It's a lot of things, honestly. The recurring NV4500 issues have not helped at all, though I feel I've gotten the bugs worked out of so many aspects of this truck in the time I've had it. It's been a complex situation for a long time. Basically the effort to keep an older truck under boost hauling the weight like I do is pretty damned tiring, and at that I'm still only getting 7-8 mpg average, overall, with all my towing.\

Does he shift it like a gorilla?
Not in my experience
Thats why i say “his nv4500” lol. Ive never seen anyone have so much trouble with them.
I actually drive my truck quite nice. I had a bad NV4500 in the truck that kept eating mainshafts, the the new replacement lost 5th gear twice and took out the transfercase. In that instance blame was laid on the supplier/builder of the NV4500 and they actually ate a LOT of cost well past the typical 1 year warranty to go through the NV4500 and rebuild the BW4470 and ship them back rather quick.

Patience folks, lol. He’s out on his ritual Thanksgiving camping trip. He’s been getting the 2006 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT ready for use since we went and picked it up last weekend. (Also putting the Black Fox back together from its latest tantrum.) All will be revealed soon...
Well it's been over a week and still no update on this man's treachery. I doubt he's still camping.
I was thinking the same thing. Plus I don’t have instagram so this is all I have [emoji1]
I've had... quite a lot happen in the last month, so forgive me for not existing online.

On the way back from my last trip (end of October) the truck started making a ticking sound, like an exhaust leak. But, I was focused on the 88 at the time (frame was pulled apart for coating). I basically parked the truck camper on and went about what I was doing. Then my great uncle passed away, had to take some time to go down there with the family. I took the Black Fox down to the funeral, so before I left I went through some exhaust stuff (new collector gasket, making sure there were no leaks) etc and just couldn't figure out the tick sound... it was faint (most people thought I was nuts) but i'm pretty in tune with this truck.

During this time, my father was telling me about a truck his hunting friend was selling, a 06 GMC K3500 SLT duramax with 46k miles. It's basically the exact truck I would want as a duramax if I were to choose to go the Allison Auto route... Asked me if I was interested, saw some photos, etc. I ended up looking at it while at the funeral on the weekend of Nov 10th. Came home from that and had a really busy work week... But in the little free time I had I dug into it much farther, determined it had to be a lifter making noise. So I decided to go all out, and would pull the lifters and cam over the weekend. Mind you this is while I have the 88 COMPLETELY spread out around the property in pieces... and i'm figuring out the possibility of this new truck... plus remodeling a bedroom in the house..... so, yeah. You can see how much of a cluster-F my garage is right now

So I ended up striking a deal on the 06 that week. Got the financial and paperwork figure out during the week (truck was 3 hours away). So now we are at the next weekend. After work Friday I pull the cam, turns out the exhaust lifter on cylinder 5 had a roller starting to fail which was making the ticking sound.

Saturday I wake up, get a ride to go get the Duramax (was a day long trip)....

So I get the truck home, now it's Sunday and Monday put the Black Fox back together. Completely flushed the engine, installed a brand new OEM vortec cam, comp cams OE replacement lifters and new gaskets, plus fresh fluids. Put the 19 lb/hr injectors in and de-pinned the 0411 back to the black box PCM.

That was one busy weekend. So keep going.... Thanksgiving is the 22nd and I have family dinner plus my annual quad camping trip.... and now I have a different truck to try and get setup to haul my camper. So now I also have that to prep which included removing running boards, canopy, installing camper tie downs and the superhitch, making sure wiring the trailer brake controller are good, transferring all my stuff to the truck, and prepping for camping.

Not without a few long lights and some extra effort, but I managed to get everything done and ready and make my trip.

And no, I haven't updated because I came back from that trip late Sunday after thanksgiving, worked 2 days then flew red-eye to Chicago for another trip I had planned, which I just returned from late this past Sunday. The camper is still sitting on my the new truck, in the driveway, with parts scattered everywhere in my garage and yard, and the grille missing off the black fox.... I have a busy few weeks ahead now.

I know most of you are asking me "Why?".

I love the 98. I love the GMT400 bodystyle. There is a TON of things I love about that truck. Where that truck is today hasn't came without a bunch of trials for me, such as many NV4500 issues, supercharger issues, and just general old truck/age maintenance things like gaskets, lights, brakes, etc etc.... It's just an old truck with old technology and I'm pushing its limits to do what i'm doing with it. And with that i'm still getting like... 7MPG doing what i'm doing....

A newer truck with a stronger frame, better brakes, stronger engine and transmission that gets better fuel economy, as clean and as low mile as this one is.... it was just impossible to pass up.

I still have a few things to remove from the Black Fox (train horn, stereo, radios) prior to selling it. I'm still debating on pulling the welds off it as well, and the whipple is already removed and likely going to be installed on the 88 in the future.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I think the aluma duals would look sweet on the lbz. Thats a killer find though, in for the new build.

Last edited:

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No wonder you didn’t post that’s crazy. Truck looks good.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like my summer. Last I checked I pull down 5.5 mpg NA with my monstrosity. I've long wanted a Dmax but the 25-30k pill is a tough one to swallow. Not to mention the few more Grand that you have to bleed out for all the Torklift crap. The Fox should be an easy sell.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck, that looks clean! Those earlier trucks seem to last forever and still sell for a premium.
I'm in the same boat, i've been eyeing some dmaxes as well. My towing maxes out my dually and is seriously limiting my 5th wheel options.

Sorry to hear about your great uncle, rest in peace. :(