88 GMC Trail/DD Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the socket clue. I am so used to "hillbilly homebrew" that I forget that there actually may be specialty tools for some things lol. It hangs up at the snap ring groove. I was about ready to bring sparks and bigger hammers into the equation.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Thanks for the socket clue. I am so used to "hillbilly homebrew" that I forget that there actually may be specialty tools for some things lol. It hangs up at the snap ring groove. I was about ready to bring sparks and bigger hammers into the equation.

as long as you have the outer snap ring in the wheel hub out then i say hammer away as those type lockouts are junk and should not be used

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Def not using those lol. Seeing plastic in the components to those junk lock outs makes me highly agree with you. Its all getting junked in favor of 35 spline chromo shafts, superjoints, drive flanges, OX locker, 5.13s, SRW hubs, new calipers and better rotors. This truck has been so long in the making that I decided not to cheap out or settle on anything but bomb proof.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even with a selectable locker, you will still have a static drag on your drivetrain when in 2wd since the front t-case output will always have a connction with the road.

If you can find them, there are 35 spline lockouts. I have seen Spicer and Warn make them, sure others do as well. They are not super cheap though.

Personally I like the weak link in my front axle to be the lock out hub, cheapest and easiest to replace when they go, plus if something is gonna bust, usually will be the hub.

EDIT* add link
http://www.amazon.com/WARN-62672-Premium-Manual-Hubs/dp/B000CQDQTO

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The manual lock out vs drive flange was kinda hit on a page or two back. I had 35 spline Warns. The flanges I picked up can be run without the slug in them. Pretty much a beefy manual lock out.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you had them, then run them. I actually was following the build on pirate, I kinda skipped 12 pages to get the update on this site.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update. Lots of beating with a mini sledge, air hammer, grinder and quite a few beers later...
You must be registered for see images

With this off my back and outta the way on to bigger and better things.