88 front right diff/axle seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshs88

Reaction score
Hi, New member here. I just bought my son a 1988 Chevrolet K1500. It has a leaky front right axle seal. I am replacing Both CV shafts because of the boots being torn. I'd like to replace the seal while I'm at it but am getting conflicting stories on how to do it. Some say that the axle will pop right out with a little force from a prybar, others say that part of the front differential needs to be split or separated and a clip removed from the inside. I can't seem to get a straight answer. I tried looking it up on Alldata but to no success. Youtube seems to be all trucks that are 15+ years newer and half of those people I wouldn't trust changing the string on a yo-yo.
Is there anyone with real experience doing this that can explain it to me like I'm 5?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Driver side will come out with some persuasion. Pass side needs the extension tube removed from the vehicle and dissembled. There's an internal c-clip.
Part #9