88-98 Bucket seat alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Does anyone recognize These seats?
You must be registered for see images attach

They where in the truck when I bought it!! They remind me of ones out of a southern comfort van? What do y'all think?

I was also thinking van

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Does anyone recognize These seats?

They where in the truck when I bought it!! They remind me of ones out of a southern comfort van? What do y'all think?

I had these same exact seats in my 77, had no idea what they came out of, were in it when i bought it. They were AMAZINGLY comfortable, but i did not have a clue they were van seats.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yup! Aftermarket Van conversion seats. Very modifiable! The frames are 1/2" pipe, so they can be shortened.
The 'springs' are either metal strapping or 2" wide elastic belting. The tension can be increased or decreased according to your comfort level requirements.
Little more to recover after modding, but not much. If you're gonna get them redone, you could do the mods to the frames yourself before taking them to your upholstery guy.
I've done this more than once, so if you need any help, & you're considering this, hit me up with a PM.

crazymater91

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup! Aftermarket Van conversion seats. Very modifiable! The frames are 1/2" pipe, so they can be shortened.
The 'springs' are either metal strapping or 2" wide elastic belting. The tension can be increased or decreased according to your comfort level requirements.
Little more to recover after modding, but not much. If you're gonna get them redone, you could do the mods to the frames yourself before taking them to your upholstery guy.
I've done this more than once, so if you need any help, & you're considering this, hit me up with a PM.

Okay will do!
Well they are in my truck already! But was kinda wanting vinyl/leather seat! But for the cost of reupholstering I may have to wait or change seats! But I kinda like the way these sit!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So many factors in an estimate for upholstery.
The material's cost is one. Fabric/vinyl/leather? Color? I can't/won't make that decision for the customer!
Redesign? As plain or as fancy as you'd like. That'd be straight 'time'.
The condition of the covers when first brought to the shop. If that's poop, more bench time.
Repairs? Foam, track & frame snags that are not always evident until torn down.
So many times I get asked that same question.
It's like phoning a body-shop, & asking "How much to fix the dent in my vehicle?"
Until I physically see the job to be done, or get a very detailed description, it's hard to say.
If a seat requires reupholstering, there's a good chance that it will need more than just new covers.
At the age these trucks are now, the seats are no longer a 'same-production' item. They've become their own entity unto themselves. They are individual to the truck, as is the truck itself.
I charge $60.00/hr. Average hours...depends on the seat style, and as described above.
It takes almost just as much work to recover 2 as it takes to do one.
If I do one today, & the other 3 months from now, it'll cost about 60% more than if both are done at the same time.
Some upholsterers are faster than others. Some have their own specialties.
Don't take auto stuff to furniture guys. They don't get it!
I'm not super fast. But, I do it once! I HATE taking apart something that I've just sewn. I don't like 'comebacks' because I rushed a job.
I'm fussy! If I wouldn't be happy with it in my own vehicle, why should my customer?
People come to me with ideas of what they want. I tell them what's possible.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score