88 350 TBI timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I set the timing on my 88 350 it was at 4 degress advanced before I made the adjustment. It's suppose to be at 0 degress at 500 rpm. Once the bypass is reconnected, The computer advances it to 14 degrees.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I thought the computer took care of the timing? Or can you slue the total timing range? Example, total range is 20 degrees. You advance the base from zero to +5 so now your range is +5 to +25. Am I wrong or right? Asking 'cause I don't know.

Ken
You are correct sir!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Even stock engines vary a bit. By setting the timing at the drag strip on test and tune night or on a chassis dyno you can zero in (pun intended) on what your combo likes best.

Here is the procedure:

1) Set the timing to spec.

2) Run it down the track. If it spins the tires add sand bags in the bed until it doesn't. Spinning the tires a bunch will screw up the test results. Note the mile per hour on the timeslip. The reaction time and elapsed time (ET) are irrelevant.

3) Come back to the pits and bump the timing 2 degrees.

4)Rinse and Repeat until the mile per hour stops increasing. Often 2 degrees too much timing will see the MPH drop off sharply because the computer may take 8 degrees out to stop the knock.

So if it goes the same speed @ 4 degrees advance as it did @ 2 degrees reset the timing to 2 degrees and go sit in the stands and watch the other guys race.

I do the same thing with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I do timing then fuel then repeat to see if the new fuel pressure wants different timing.