8 Lug PYO, PY2. Help me choose or keep what is on the truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90 K2500

Reaction score
The work trucks and vans usually got the grey painted version. The PY2 was probably an in-between option. I wouln't mind a set, but the stock GMT-400 rims fit better. The 800 rims don't sit on the hub as well, making them a bit more lug centric. I've got the grey ones.
I am not real clear on " a bit more lug cenric"
do you see this as a safety issue or just more difficult to remount on the hub?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I am not real clear on " a bit more lug cenric"
do you see this as a safety issue or just more difficult to remount on the hub?

The original rims fit very well on the hub, besides having the tapered seat lug nuts, so they are located very securely. The GMT-800 rims are bent a little differently where they go around the hub, and it doesn't look like the fit is as tight..... I'm looking at the grey steel rim, as I've never had PYO's. I don't think it would be a safety issue. There are plenty of lug centric wheels out there. I just like how the OEM GMT-400 are both lug and hub centric. I'd be curious how the 800 rims fit on the 800 trucks.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I will agree that the aluminum PY0 wheels ( or any aluminum wheels) are much lighter than a steel wheel. That's why I wanted to run them on my old Burb. That steel wheel with a 10 ply truck tire is heavy to pull off and put back on when changing the tire/ wheel or getting them off to do repairs.
And there's more options for tires on the 16x6.5 wheels than there used to be. Several members are running these wheels on their 400 8 lug trucks without issues....

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the PY0 wheels on my 2000, with a Ford front axle lol, they fit fine, other than the crossover arm hits the tire. Not an issue with IFS. I’m gonna put em on my new to me 99, I’ll snap a pic. I’d run at least a 265, IMO a 245 is too small.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't sweat the slightly larger hub bore. The GMT400 design is that wheels are lug-centric by default with conical seat lugs (the only exceptions being duallies which use the "clamping rings" which allow the use of the conical seat lugs on wheels that have flat lug holes - those trucks are hub-centric by design.)

The lugs pull the wheel into the correct position. Just tighten them properly as you would in any situation, in an alternating pattern, in steps, until fully torqued. Plenty of aftermarket wheels have a larger hub bore because they fit a number of applications; no issues with them. The lugs are what center the wheel.

Richard

90 K2500

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. POY's winning hands down so far locally they are running $200-250 a set. Holding out for a set with the center caps and passing on those without.
Patience with craigslist and FB marketplace as parts are everywhere and 265's should wear just fine unless we hear otherwise.