8 lug 14 bolt semi float

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
How tight do i tighten them? And have you ever experienced any leaking with the paper gaskets? Also what brand do you use?

I don't recall the factory torque spec. The gasket was oem.... GM. I bought a kit that had new bolts, gasket and cover last time. I think I sprayed the cover side with a spray sealer....a permatex product. I don't recall if I sprayed the axle housing side or not.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My wife's Envoy came with a reusable metal backed rubber diff gasket on its 8.5" rear. Anyone who is rocking a 10 bolt should definitely grab one of these. Hell, my dumb ass should grab a 7.5" gasket for my Camaro. I'm not tracking any more of these sweet gaskets for the bigger diffs, but it could be a thing.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Reusable would be awesome. I still have the original reusable gasket on my transmission pan....its plastic and rubber.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That will be a option too if i the gaskets fail the previous owner used silicon and it is leaking but then again i think he was kind of an idiot and not very bright at all

My mechanic replaced my axle on my '99 Silverado 10 bolt back around 2010 or so. He just used silicone on the diff. cover. I was weary, but until I read this thread, I had forgotten about that.

Just make sure you clean the mating surfaces well, and you will be good with either option.

Look here for cover torque specs: https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/73552-need-torque-specs-for-14-bolt-axles/

I don't think there is a difference from the SF to FF as far as the cover is concerned.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My G80 was seeping from the pinion, it had 65k org miles. I replaced the fluid with Walmart brand, correct weight and api specification. (can't remember now) whatever GM recommends
I've noticed quieter opperation, no effect on locker and the seep on the pinion quit.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
My G80 was seeping from the pinion, it had 65k org miles. I replaced the fluid with Walmart brand, correct weight and api specification. (can't remember now) whatever GM recommends
I've noticed quieter opperation, no effect on locker and the seep on the pinion quit.

GL-5

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hummer rims! I got them cheap. A little fender trim was required.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk