8 lug 14 bolt semi float

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is good news, i think i can afford $9 a bottle. Also I have another question, how many bottles do you normally buy when changing the fluid and gasket? And do you have any gasket recommendations?

No idea really, both of my trucks are 10 bolts so I'm not super familiar with the 14 bolt stuff. The 10 bolts are just over two quarts, so I'd imagine the 14 bolts take a little more than that. Three quarts would be 96 fluid ounces, which would be a little over four of those 23oz bottles.

As far as gaskets, I use the OEM ACDelco part number on my 10 bolts. Just took a quick look and I can't seem to find one for the 9.5" 14 bolts like you have. Second choice would be a FelPro, their part number for the 9.5" 14 bolt is RDS55387.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-rds55387

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No idea really, both of my trucks are 10 bolts so I'm not super familiar with the 14 bolt stuff. The 10 bolts are just over two quarts, so I'd imagine the 14 bolts take a little more than that. Three quarts would be 96 fluid ounces, which would be a little over four of those 23oz bottles.

As far as gaskets, I use the OEM ACDelco part number on my 10 bolts. Just took a quick look and I can't seem to find one for the 9.5" 14 bolts like you have. Second choice would be a FelPro, their part number for the 9.5" 14 bolt is RDS55387.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-rds55387
I have read that my rear end should take 2.75 quarts but I’m really not sure because I can’t find anything about it anywhere else, as far as the gasket what type of material should i look for because i have read that the felpro is paper and i am kinda concerned about putting a paper gasket on however i have found a quark/metal gasket so would that be better than the paper?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have read that my rear end should take 2.75 quarts but I’m really not sure because I can’t find anything about it anywhere else, as far as the gasket what type of material should i look for because i have read that the felpro is paper and i am kinda concerned about putting a paper gasket on however i have found a quark/metal gasket so would that be better than the paper?

The OEM ACDelco gaskets are paper too, I use them and have had no issues. I wouldn't worry about it.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OEM ACDelco gaskets are paper too, I use them and have had no issues. I wouldn't worry about it.
Okay that makes me feel better about it, i just didn’t wanna have to deal with another leaking gasket for a while. Thank you for for all the help, i know i have a lot of questions but I’m only 17 and I figured i should ask people who have actually done the stuff before. I will probably do it sometime within the next week and ill post some pictures and let you know how it goes

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay that makes me feel better about it, i just didn’t wanna have to deal with another leaking gasket for a while. Thank you for for all the help, i know i have a lot of questions but I’m only 17 and I figured i should ask people who have actually done the stuff before. I will probably do it sometime within the next week and ill post some pictures and let you know how it goes

You're welcome! No harm in asking questions, this site is an amazing resource.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're welcome! No harm in asking questions, this site is an amazing resource.
It really is i have found mostly everything i need on here and except a few things which are all the questions I’ve asked and they always get answers fast

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've used the OEM paper gasket as well on mine, I have the 14 bolt full floating axle.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I quit using gaskets years ago and just smear silicone on there now. I did my 1500 back in 2012 and the cover has never leaked. I do the Camaro a couple times a year and it never leaks. Pinion seals on the other hand. :upyours:

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I quit using gaskets years ago and just smear silicone on there now. I did my 1500 back in 2012 and the cover has never leaked. I do the Camaro a couple times a year and it never leaks. Pinion seals on the other hand. :upyours:
That will be a option too if i the gaskets fail the previous owner used silicon and it is leaking but then again i think he was kind of an idiot and not very bright at all