77-79 dana 44 hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88gmt400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
has anyone converted a coil spring setup to leaf spring if so i would like some advice and pictures what you done what you learned what you wish you wouldve done and someone has done a coil spring setup on these trucks i would like to see pics or build threads and advice from that too which do yall think is better? thanks guys

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I havent seen him on here but this is a coilover setup

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?2535-***-Traction-4-Link-Coil-Over-K3500

88gmt400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats badass but i cant get ahold of him lol so it doesnt help me i need more people that has done this

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Depends on money and what you want. Coil has better on road manners and crazy flex. Leafs are simple and primitive but a little rough in the road

88gmt400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i like leafs but i dont know how to go about converting my dana 44 coil spring axle to a leaf spring axle i know how to do the swap for the most part have some questions but that will come later....thanks

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Just want to make this clear for everyone, you want to take your axle that currently has coils and switch it to leafs?

Wouldn't it be easy to put leafs ...

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I really don't think you can convert a coil sprung Dana 44 to a leave sprung. There's something on the axle that's different. I'm not sure what it was but I know I've read that somewhere.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
coils are easy you can use the factory ford or dadge setups and use dodge or ford coils depending on axle and what not. some people use jeep lift coils and custom coil pads. leafs are easy, overdone and not very road friendly after riding in a coil sprung SAS truck. plus coils look more badass.

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 77-79 coil sprung dana 44's have the wedges cast into the axle, there is no leaf spring perch cast into the diff.
theses axles are weeker than the pre 77,and leaf sprung dana 44's.
read this, this will show you all you need to know on the dana 44.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 77-79 coil sprung dana 44's have the wedges cast into the axle, there is no leaf spring perch cast into the diff.
theses axles are weeker than the pre 77,and leaf sprung dana 44's.
This^^

Using the F150/ bronco 44, the best way get it into a 88-98 GM truck is to use radius arms and coils. the only real fabrication would be upper coil mounts, track bar and a frame end mount for the radius arms. If you can locate a set of Cage radius arms will make life even easier. Check out my build if you want, it is in this section, I built radius arms and coils using a F240 D44.