700r4 swap...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hondaracer44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 1990 gmc k1500 with the pesky 700r4 in it and it went out for the 3rd time so I'm tired of it. I can get a 4 speed out of a 86 k10 and I was wondering if anyone has done this swap and what problems I might run into?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Sm465? Should be a fairly easy swap since they came with them from the factory. As long as you have all the parts.

hondaracer44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sm465? Should be a fairly easy swap since they came with them from the factory. As long as you have all the parts.

I'm not sure what transmission it is I just know it's out of a 86 and yeah the guy said everything needed to do the swap will go with it.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The sm 465 has a 32 spline output so your current transfer case isn't going to work. The 700r4 has a 27 spline output. You can't use the transfer case from the 86 because the front output is on the wrong side.

I can't recall if a 86 has manual or hydraulic clutch but a manual is going to take a little fab work on the frame because of the two different truck styles.

If it's hydraulic the slave cylinder may be on the drivers side which will interfere with your front drive shaft.

Long story short I'd look for a sm465 or nv4500 with transfer case out of a 88-98 body style.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

hondaracer44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sm 465 has a 32 spline output so your current transfer case isn't going to work. The 700r4 has a 27 spline output. You can't use the transfer case from the 86 because the front output is on the wrong side.

I can't recall if a 86 has manual or hydraulic clutch but a manual is going to take a little fab work on the frame because of the two different truck styles.

If it's hydraulic the slave cylinder may be on the drivers side which will interfere with your front drive shaft.

Long story short I'd look for a sm465 or nv4500 with transfer case out of a 88-98 body style.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I decided not to go that route too much work involved and the transfer case wont fit. Thanks for the help!