700r4 swap to a 4l60e trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

illusions92

Reaction score
ok so i have a 92 silverado that had a bad 700r4 trans. i swapped to a 4l60e and i changed the wire harness in the engine compartment now my trans is stuck in limp mode. so i found that in my fuse box there was no trans fuse. so i found the wire at the cab and gave it 12v power source now it only shifts 1st and 2nd no 3rd or od. before i had 3rd only with a manuel 2nd shift. so where am i screwed up. i know that everything worked well when it came out of the other truck

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I think you need a chip in your computer that has the 4l60e control burned on it. I supercharged an H1 with a 4L80E trans, and the chip that came with the supercharger didn't have the programming, since it was out of a Tahoe with a 700r4. You would get down the road like 10ft. and it would go into limp mode. I had my buddy ship it to get the chip re-burned and when he popped it in, trans shifted great.

So basically, find a truck with the same engine/4l60e combo as you, and take that chip.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
JD is correct. You'll also need a prom from a vehicle that had that engine and trans combo.

Can I ask why though? Why not get another 700r4 or a TH350?

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

illusions92

Reaction score
yep so i said it and went back to a 700r4. with the best rebuild you can do and a nasty shift kit!!!!!!!!!!!!! now time for the dyno!!!!!! my twin turbo small block outta sling some mud!!!!!!!!!!!!!