700r4 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hondaracer44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I just put a new tranny in my truck, when I start out my truck boggs down and doesn't want to shift down until it almost dies. Could it just be the lift and big tires and my truck doesn't have enough torque and just sounds like its dying? Any help would be appreciated.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Did it do this prior to the transmission? Sounds like either the torque convertor is wrong or the detent cable is misadjusted.

hondaracer44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It didn't do it with the old transmission but I didn't get to drive it a whole lot before it went out. I put a new to me transmission and torque converter out of the same year truck as mine and that truck never had the tranny messed with so I don't know how it could be the torque converter. What is the detent cable?? I'm not very familiar with transmissions

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also known as the throttle valve or kick down cable. Its basically what regulates line pressures and shift points.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
If you don't have the cable hooked up, then that there is a problem.

There is a cable that runs from the passenger side of the trans up to the throttle body linkage. Where the cable meets the mounting bracket, you will see a large tab as part of the cable. Press it down, have someone in the truck push the gas pedal to the floor and then release the tab. That will give you a base shift point, from there you can move the cable in or out to adjust your shifts accordingly.