700r4 hit and miss OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
700r4 only has two inputs. The TV cable and The TCC to the lockup solenoid.
Thats it
When you say it wont stay in OD, do you mean its not shifting into 4th or is the torque converter not locking up?
BTW, they sell lockup converter kits that allow you to lock and unlock the converter with a switch.

Casey Price

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
700r4 only has two inputs. The TV cable and The TCC to the lockup solenoid.
Thats it
When you say it wont stay in OD, do you mean its not shifting into 4th or is the torque converter not locking up?
BTW, they sell lockup converter kits that allow you to lock and unlock the converter with a switch.

Sometime it wont or just doesn't shift into 4th/OD. It's like it is messing with me if that makes since.
I'm very interested in the lockup is this something I can leave activated or only turn on when in 4th? Once i get the problem fixed.

Going to clean the Governor and do a filter change this weekend. I'm going to check the TV cable adjustment while the pan is off.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you pull the shifter down to 2 or 3, it should lock in those gears as well.

Outlaw910

Reaction score
Sometime it wont or just doesn't shift into 4th/OD. It's like it is messing with me if that makes since.
I'm very interested in the lockup is this something I can leave activated or only turn on when in 4th? Once i get the problem fixed.

Going to clean the Governor and do a filter change this weekend. I'm going to check the TV cable adjustment while the pan is off.

Same thing happened to me a few months ago on my 92. I took the governor out... cleaned it and it shifts fine now. Had me scared 342,000 miles without a rebuild. I have one ready when it goes.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Can i do this even though im still using my TBI?

I wouldn't do it that way, if you get ahold of a schematic I'm sure there's a way to make the switch an add on as opposed to taking the computer out of the loop altogether.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The converter lockout kit is basically a switch that prevents the converter from locking when you don't want it to. It won't help you cure your current problem because in won't lock until you get it to shift into 4th to begin with
It does solve the annoying tendency of 700r4 locking and unlocking under certain situations.
And yes, it still uses the tbi.
Check the tv cable adjustment and operation first.
This has to correct before anything else will work right.
Also make sure your throttle shaft isn't binding. An intermittent binding shaft doesn't let the cable move properly
Remember, a bad cable or improper adjust will smoke a 700r4 in a big hurry.
Don't try to use the tv cable as an adjustment for the shift points.
The throttle valve itself can get gummed up and stuck and they can wear to the point that fluid blows past the valve without moving it.
Check out the governer.Make sure it still has all its plastic gear teeth and that it isn't sticking.
The spring weights control max rpm shift points and you can get a kit to change them.
It's also possible that someone put the wrong governer in it.
It's also a popular upgrade to put a corvette governer in
If all that is good, then it's probably time to put a pressure gauge on it.
So in other words, I advise you to do exactly what you are doing.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OP if you pull the shifter into 2nd or 3rd will it lock? Thinger2 is nailing it with how the trans works.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many folks are concentrating on the lockup converter, when the OP has said in two different posts that the problem is 4th (OD) gear being intermittent.

First Guess: Failed/sticking governor
Second Guess: 4th gear servo seals
Third Guess: Valve body problems
Fourth Guess: Something very weird--cracked case, massive leak at the OD accumulator, separator plate cracked/worn.

If it was the 2-4 band, 2nd gear would also be flaky.
If it was the 3-4 clutch, 3rd gear would also be flaky.
Can't be the Forward clutch, the other forward gears work.

Those are the only elements engaged in OD. Therefore it has to be a problem in the control system of those element(s)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Too many folks are concentrating on the lockup converter, when the OP has said in two different posts that the problem is 4th (OD) gear being intermittent.

First Guess: Failed/sticking governor
Second Guess: 4th gear servo seals
Third Guess: Valve body problems
Fourth Guess: Something very weird--cracked case, massive leak at the OD accumulator, separator plate cracked/worn.

If it was the 2-4 band, 2nd gear would also be flaky.
If it was the 3-4 clutch, 3rd gear would also be flaky.
Can't be the Forward clutch, the other forward gears work.

Those are the only elements engaged in OD. Therefore it has to be a problem in the control system of those element(s)

Do this OP.