700r4 hit and miss OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey Price

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it not hitting OD or not locking up? If it's not locking up I'd look at the brake switch myself.
SUPERCHARGED111 WINNER. Brake switch!! So I was driving home Friday and truck didn't shift into OD I remembered about the brake switch so I tapped the side of the brake pedal with my foot and wouldn't you know it it switch into OD. Now I have to wait until Friday to change it. Gives me all weekend to fix the damn rats nest around it.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A700r4 is a 4 speed transmission with a locking torque converter.
So not shifting into fourth is not the same thing as the converter not locking up.
I should have chased that little tidbit of information a little further
A converter not locking might eventually fry your transmission.
Throttle valve problems WILL fry your transmission.
And it don't take much.
We used to buy square bodies dirt ass cheap because somebody cooked the trans and with only one exception, it was due to a carburater change.
Yep, throw out the quadrajet, slap on a Holley or Edelbrock
And burn the tranny.
Because the angle between the throttle linkage and the cable is just a little different and it didn't get corrected
That's how touchy that adjustment is.
Take a look at the various forums and see how many guys have carb swapped a truck and burnt one.
If you are gonna live with one of these, do the homework to understand how it works cuz they are not cheap to rebuild and the r&r is a pain.
Get it right and they work just fine.
Get it wrong and its just another truck in the backyard with another ad on Craigslist.
Glad it was the cheap and easy problem.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A700r4 is... ...not cheap to rebuild
TODAY, I got my '88 K1500 back from the trans shop.

$2631. Includes "Corvette" servo and "Heavy Duty" sun shell, the usual clutches, 2-4 band, and seals, along with half of the planetaries that had sheared the teeth off the gears.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TODAY, I got my '88 K1500 back from the trans shop.

$2631. Includes "Corvette" servo and "Heavy Duty" sun shell, the usual clutches, 2-4 band, and seals, along with half of the planetaries that had sheared the teeth off the gears.
Actually not a bad price all things considered.
I've got about 238k on my 4l60e and just dreading the thought of pulling it.
It still tests and runs good so maybe I'll just drink some beer and look at it for awhile longer
This **** was a lot easier 30 years ago!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually not a bad price all things considered.
I've got about 238k on my 4l60e and just dreading the thought of pulling it.
It still tests and runs good so maybe I'll just drink some beer and look at it for awhile longer
This **** was a lot easier 30 years ago!
The same folks rebuilt this trans ~20 years ago. It was about $1600 then. Similar deal--planetaries beat beyond belief.

I'm considering a separate post on this experience. I bribed the tech, and he let me watch as it came apart, and then again during re-assembly.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The same folks rebuilt this trans ~20 years ago. It was about $1600 then. Similar deal--planetaries beat beyond belief.

I'm considering a separate post on this experience. I bribed the tech, and he let me watch as it came apart, and then again during re-assembly.
That would be interesting for sure.
My first few experiances with the 700r4 are an epic of horrible. The first one involved a 4 hour hike through the desert at midnight just to get cell reception (back in the 90s) fell down a hill and landed on a cactus. 500 bucks for the tow. Got it rebuilt for 1200. they did it wrong and went out of business
Another 1400 at a different shop. It lasted about 4 months and crapped out on the beach in Mexico. 8 hours on a tow strap. The third time I figured out that the first few years of the 700r4 are complete garbage and started with a newer case and better parts.
Ya deffinetly get whatcha pay for

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're paying to get screwed, you're in danger of getting VD.
I don't think I have VD but I definitely got screwed, lol. I payed $2300 for a "Stage 2, 600HP" 700R4 from Transmission Depot. It shifts nice and firm 1-2, super hard 2-3, and properly 3-4 with light to moderate pedal but, it won't shift at all 2-3 at WOT. I've tried all different combinations with weights and springs on the governor (shifting 1-2 @ 5000 where I want it). I adjusted the TV cable back and forth some. If I leave it somewhat loose when cruising at ~70MPH and I let off the gas it'll freewheel some and slam when I get back on the gas but, it still won't shift 2-3 at WOT. So I have it back tighter until it doesn't freewheel. Trans Depot's warranty says, all I have to do is pull the trans and pay for shipping back to them - useless! I guess I need to find a shop nearby that knows these legacy transmissions. I've been doing a lot of research and all I can find is this kit from B&M, which I saw on another forum that may help to alleviate my issue, who knows? I would love to see a thread dedicated to the 700R4 including @Schurkey experience with tear down and assembly as well as any more insight.

https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/shift_improver_and_rebuild_kits/parts/70235

Here's a snip of what my trans is supposed to have
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry for high jacking this thread, it is kind of germane, or at least, similar.