700r4 hit and miss OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey Price

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is a 88 with a 5.7.
I've owned the truck for 2 years. since I've owned it Over Drive has been hit and miss. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't sometimes it takes 10-15 miles and decides it wants to shift into OD.
I have replaced the detent cable and output shaft sensor. Is there something I can do to make it work right or anyone know what's going on? Maybe a filter change? Transmissions are intimidating.
Fluid level is good and clean.

whitewheels

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can just share what I did on my 91...but keep in mind I'm a total newb on these trannys.
I replaced my converter,worked ever since [emoji85]

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe there is a trans temp switch bolted to the valve body ,real easy to change,it may bad and causing your problem.I have always bypassed them on my transmissions. It prevents tcc application till trans is warm.Its a 1pring silver round switch with a black 2 prong plug i jump the 2 prong plug no negatives on doing so .

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the 700R4 had a trans temp switch, at least my 88 doesn't.

Casey Price

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe there is a trans temp switch bolted to the valve body ,real easy to change,it may bad and causing your problem.I have always bypassed them on my transmissions. It prevents tcc application till trans is warm.Its a 1pring silver round switch with a black 2 prong plug i jump the 2 prong plug no negatives on doing so .
So i can get to it when i change the filter? What about a input sensor? I need another store to look for parts autozone sucks.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes the temp switch is easy to get to when you change the filter.The input speed senor?not sure

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score