700r4/4L60 lost O/D on the column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted92

Reaction score
I have a 1992 GMC K1500 with the 700r4/4L60 and this morning I turned off of my dirt road and heard a big pop and then revs sky rocketed. Turns out now when I shift in to O/D it acts just like another neutral. If I shift into drive I have at least 1st and 2nd, limped it back home so it didn't get into 3rd, and reverse works as well. And ideas what happened or any hopefully easy fixes? Or is it time to bite the bullet and rebuild it? Thanks

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Go for another spin and verify if you have 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd. Either require a rebuild but it'll tell you if you lost the band or the aforementioned 3-4 pack.

Lifted92

Reaction score
Go for another spin and verify if you have 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd. Either require a rebuild but it'll tell you if you lost the band or the aforementioned 3-4 pack.

Okay, so I took it for another drive and it will shift into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd eventually, no O/D obviously. However I did give it about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in first at take off and it slips REALLY bad, I'd assume it's the main clutch pack? Not very familiar with trannys.