$600 2000 C3500 CCLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this and rust?

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorta... it should be a decent primer, but it's just an oil based primer. It's not anything like Por-15. Given that you're down south, it'll probably be ok. I used TSC's BPS version years ago on my lower control arms after blasting them and it held up fine. That stuff is no longer available through TSC, so I'd be taking a close look at the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer if I were doing it today. I've used it on other small things, out of a spray can, but can't think of anything specific.

What are you wanting to use it on?

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Sorta... it should be a decent primer, but it's just an oil based primer. It's not anything like Por-15. Given that you're down south, it'll probably be ok. I used TSC's BPS version years ago on my lower control arms after blasting them and it held up fine. That stuff is no longer available through TSC, so I'd be taking a close look at the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer if I were doing it today. I've used it on other small things, out of a spray can, but can't think of anything specific.

What are you wanting to use it on?

A couple of spots on my floor pans

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
A couple of spots on my floor pans

I'd wire wheel it first, and look for a zinc primer, often called "cold galvanizing". Make sure it's one that's OK to top coat. They can be kinda dusty when dry. Then go over it with your rusty metal primer and paint.

I think the zinc primers are only available in spray cans, unless you start looking someplace other than a big box store paint.

Note, you'll also find primer FOR galvanized metal.... that's different stuff. That's a latex.

You might get more recommendations from others here with more, or recent, experience. I'm speaking from my past experience painting things as a Do-it-yourselfer with hardware/big-box store type materials.

I used some old Por-15 on my floors and it lifted and re-rusted, so I need to do this same thing myself.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing I've heard about por-15 is it actually needs the rust left somewhat so it has something to convert an stick too. I've never used it either though but have heard of it lifting multiple times now...

When I did my 78 I wired wheeled all the rust out, cleaned it real well, rattle can primed it an then top coated with a matte paint that was a close match. The rust hasn't gotten any worse so that had worked pretty well.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Por 15 if you dont do anything to rust but remove scaly stuff

On my floor it had a few spots and I hit it with a wire wheel, sprayed with a rust converter to get the pores in the metal, then a acid etch primer, filler primer then a top coat. Lots of steps but if it'll hold up on the outside panel of a car then I feel its good enough for me on a floor pan

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I’m glad I didn’t go with Por-15 then lol, I seriously considered it.

It could be becasue the Por15 was old. I bought it second hand when the local Habitat Restore still sold that kind of thing. I had some other super paint type stuff that went bad by drying out in the can not long after it was opened for the first time. Apparently Por15 doesn't do that.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
The thing I've heard about por-15 is it actually needs the rust left somewhat so it has something to convert an stick too. I've never used it either though but have heard of it lifting multiple times now...

When I did my 78 I wired wheeled all the rust out, cleaned it real well, rattle can primed it an then top coated with a matte paint that was a close match. The rust hasn't gotten any worse so that had worked pretty well.

Definitly picking up a wire wheel cup when I pick up the rust primer, the stripping discs I bought work ok but don’t last long

So I guess my crew cab has speakers the the pillars too .

Yes sir, should be 4x6, just remember to remove the pillar covers from the bottom up after removing 3 Phillips head screws in each side.