6" RCX Vs Better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, I am wanting to lift my truck. It's a 98 K1500 Z71. A local suspension dealer in town is telling me that he doesn't sell RCX because they are pure garbage. His cheapest lift would be a Zone Lift for $1700. I know this is very high because I can get a Zone lift Online for around $1100.

My question is, would a RCX kit be a alright kit or is it in fact junk? I am not a Hard core Off roader, I live on the plaines and My truck would probably be what some call a road queen. I don't want to buy a crappy lift but I also don't want to spend more money on a kit than I did to buy the truck!

I do not want a knuckle lift because I think they are super ugly! The reason I was leaning towards a Rough Country Kit is because of how clean it looks.

Thanks for the tips!

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I've heard in the past RCX had some faults, but were improved. It's a widely used lift for these. Either ProComp or RCX in my opinion.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
no ifs lift should be for nothing more than a street queen in all honesty. ifs is junk for anything offroad and ive beaten mine senseless trying to prove that to people.

rcx is a good lift overall, many issues have been fixed. zone i believe is a true 6in drop though so thats something to consider. a DC 6.5 would be nice to have though.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
I had a RCX put on mine an loved it. Ride quality was awesome.

Sent from the legion of doom

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I want a Full Throttle personally..but that's just me. Lol.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
RCX has come a long way over the last 20 years. Today they are high quality, not highest, but better than average. Old reputations die hard.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ultimate lift kit to buy would be a Dick Cepek one but we all know that that's not going to be happening... I just don't see the benefit of buying a lift kit for $2000 when I can get one for $1000 will they be that different, aren't all drop brackets made similar? Money is not an issue, and if the RCX kit was in fact a bad kit, then I wouldn't buy it but you all seem to say nothing but good about it.

I am planning on running 37's on 17 inch rims so if I do end up going with a RCX kit, I'll be needing a body lift since it's not a full drop kit.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
As stated before, old rough country lifts had issues, I don't know a ton about all lift kits but I did install a 6" RCX on my truck and I feel that it is a great quality lift. It does only drop the front diff 5.25" so you have to crank to get the 6" but my truck does ride great! I would not hesitate to buy another RCX again. I also know of 2 offroad shops in my area. One sells RCX and the other says they are crap and won't sell or install them, and the other sells and installs them. And that one turns out a heck of a lot more business than the other. Also you should save a bunch of money and install it yourself. I bought my kit for $935 shipped from truckaddons.com installed it myself. You can do it with the instructions that came with the kit and help from us! As long as you have the needed tools.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10k on my rcx now, zero issues.

Well wait the rear shock bushings are starting to squeak....