6.5 won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty-WW

Reaction score
Alrighty so I have a 1994 k3500 with a 6.5 td that cranks but will not start. I took it into a shop to get diagnosed and they came up with the injection pump being bad and quoted me 3.5k for a repair. Do you guys think that it is the problem, and if so would I be able to just buy one and fix it myself?

I was able to pull start it for about 30 seconds, but it died and wouldn’t start again. Fuel comes out of the bleeder valve when cranking, and it is not gelled as I first thought.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just went through a lot of trouble on my '94 6.5, intermittent stall/no start. It turned out to be poor connections in the hot side to the fuel cutoff solenoid. Use a test light to verify that you have power to the cutoff solenoid. Give the large connector at the back of the engine the wiggle test, or just disconnect it and clean/inspect the pink/black wire connector (middle row passenger side first position I think) Mine was weak there and also at the connector behind the glove box. Spray electronic cleaner/ used DeOxit and so far so good.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Alrighty so I have a 1994 k3500 with a 6.5 td that cranks but will not start. I took it into a shop to get diagnosed and they came up with the injection pump being bad and quoted me 3.5k for a repair. Do you guys think that it is the problem, and if so would I be able to just buy one and fix it myself?

I was able to pull start it for about 30 seconds, but it died and wouldn’t start again. Fuel comes out of the bleeder valve when cranking, and it is not gelled as I first thought.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks
Won't start? It's saving you money, right now! (sorry; couldn't resist)

Don't assume that because the PMD has been relocated, that it's good. As far as actual troubleshooting, I'm no further help on these; I walked away from them. Just saying - don't go spending that big bill on it without further diagnosis.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been into a 6.5, but possibly a lift pump failure? How much fuel comes out of the bleed valve?