6.5 turbo diesel dead. Now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 6.5 has major blow by. I took it apart today and I got the driver side head off and stopped right there. All 4 had cracked Pistons. #7 was real ugly. The motor was a military take out. It was rebuilt and sold. But it looked like they decked the heads and block and used a stock head gasket and got some tapping.

So I want more than what the 6.5 will do. I am thinking of 3 motors.

6BT 12v cummins. My currents favorite as it's easy install and I already have diesel in the tank.
Use my current 4l80e

5.3. Probably just the 5.3 and use my current 4l80e. Or maybe find a 5.3 with a 6l80e

Ls2 and 6l80e.

The truck is a crew cab dually and I want to add a camper to it and take the kids more places before they're too cool to be with us. One reason I'm leaning towards the cummins is mpg. Another is I wouldn't have to do any real tuning.

But I want to hear from others that have done these. I have done motor swaps and conversions so my ability is up to par. Just not time

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve done several Cummins swaps in the GMT400 chassis, mostly 4wd, except for one 3500HD, but that is an entirely different frame setup.
Simple to do, hardest part is eliminating all the unnecessary wires if you are wanting a clean install (and going mechanical pump, and not ISB)

Should be able to use your current computer to shift the transmission. All that is really needed from the engine is crank position & tps, but when building a trans controller with factory ECMs I also used a coolant temp sensor to help when fluids was cold.

Depending on what ECM/computer you have will depend on what tuning is needed to keep the check engine light off, until needed

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO 8.1 is where it is at. In no way would I consider a 12 valve due to weight and cost or LS swap due to a lack of low-end torque into your truck with its intended use. Get the 8.1 out of a van or GMT400 3500HD so that it has the correct top mount a/c bracket. The 8.1 Suburban/Avalanche/Van and GMT 400 3500HD all had 4L80E or 4L85E transmissions behind them and the 8.1 PCM will control your 4L80E. I put the 425 HP marine cam in my 99 Tahoe and the GM 454 HO cam in my 83 G20. Both have a small block 4L80E converter behind them that stalls about 2,500 rpm. The only internal engine change for either other than the cam was the valve springs and retainers. I am considering buying a set of 16 Rhoads lifters and installing 8 on the intake side of both engines to get even more low-end torque.

I gave less than $1,000 for each of the Van 8.1s fully dressed with PCMs and both had about 100K on them.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hope that you have the disposable income to swap it with something else. If you so, throw your hands in the air screaming YYYEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!, dance wildly singing na, na, na, na - na, na, na, na, hey, hey GOODBYE! This is known as the happy dance. Then go make love to your wife like she's never seen before.

If you don't have the disposable income, cry, pray and drop that head directly on your foot then have your wife kick you in the balls as hard as she can. All of this is to prepare you for the coming pain.

I vote Cummins and the happy dance scenario.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You seem to like my CCLB dually #2 thread. That's a feasible course of action, but not as cool a Cummins swap.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think cummins swap around 5-7k. My military 6.5 installed was 4k (me doing work)

Disposable income no but good income yes.

I don't want a big block. Because the empty mileage is eh and loaded is ouch. 5.3 empty would be good bang for buck.

Cummins loads of torque and good mileage.

My trans is already stand alone. The truck came with a nv4500 and I converted it to auto. Heavy pulling up grade and the 2-3 shift sucked. And the clutch master or slave kept failing. After I bought everything come to find out that's caused by a bad clutch pedal. Dote!

I appreciate all the inputs as I have not bought anything yet. Hell I was thinking small displacement turbo diesel but that's 10 to 17k for what I want. No thanks.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok looking at the photos this morning makes me think they installed the Pistons wrong. Valve reliefs on outside of motor as opposed to inside of motor.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If/when my 6.5L gives it up (only has 113k miles, so it may be a while) I will go with a Duramax. Preferably an LB7 or earier to avoid DEF and some emissions garbage. The engines themselves are pricey if you can find one in good shape, low miles, ECM and complete harness and transmission included (transfer case too in my case). Add additional cost to have the ECM/TCM reprogrammed and harness converted for standalone operation. There is a way to fit the GMT800 gauge cluster into the GMT400 dash as well so you get fully functional instrumentation.