6.5 turbo diesel dead. Now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am thinking 18:1 db2 modded for more fuel capabilities.

The lower compression will allow the motor to Rev easier but not carry as much low end torque off idle. My motor when it crosses 1600 wants to slow the revs. I usually drive around 18-2100 on the freeway.

How will the lower compression effect turbo lag? How much low end torque will be given up between 1000 & 1500 rpm. I can drive decently quick without the boost coming on even when we'll over 10k in weight.

The newer dmax and powersmoke run I believe 16:1 range.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am thinking 18:1 db2 modded for more fuel capabilities.

The lower compression will allow the motor to Rev easier but not carry as much low end torque off idle. My motor when it crosses 1600 wants to slow the revs. I usually drive around 18-2100 on the freeway.

How will the lower compression effect turbo lag? How much low end torque will be given up between 1000 & 1500 rpm. I can drive decently quick without the boost coming on even when we'll over 10k in weight.

The newer dmax and powersmoke run I believe 16:1 range.

18:1 is kind of old news with current turbo offerings. It seems the 18:1 was to combat the high drive pressure of the GM turbos, put a big ol Quadstar turbo on and leave it high compression. :)