6.2 diesel has no power/runs rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my mind I'd take a 6.2 any day. I loved my 91 K2500 6.2L with 4l80e and 4.10's. Combined was 18 and freeway was 23 all while carrying about 2400 pounds daily. I also towed another 7k behind it one day and although it wasn't fast it towed up a steep grade cracked throttle (about 20%) did around 35 mph and averaged 16.6 mpg for that trip of towing... I would've kept that truck going but I needed more room for kids and wife in my work truck.

Johnny89345

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diesel place is a great help with just motor stuff. I had a 6.2 and load her up with 2000# and see what she can do. Just not fast. There is a fuse under the black. Cover under hood passenger side. Tap that to the buss bolt right next to it. If you hear clicking its not the lift pump. Step 2 leave key in on position but motor off. Open the bleeder valve on the fuel filter. Ffm. If your not spraying fuel out that it's due to the fact that the oil pressure sensor is supposed to operate the lift pump but is not strong enough. Replace the oil pressure sensor and use it to trigger a relay. Or do as I did and intercept the lift pump wire under hood and use the injector pump kill switch to power it. There is a Huge difference when you do and don't have a lift pump working on these.

After that is done find a wrecked 6.5 turbo truck and get the turbo equipment off if it. Stay low boost on your stick injectors and you'll get nice power but a 25 mpg truck!

That fuse is good. So i just turned that t handle again with the truck running and it did stsrt to run ****** until i turned it back. What exactly is that t handle?What does tap that to the buss bolt mean? With the key on no fuel sprays out. Is there a way to test the ops without replacing it?

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The t handle is to remove water than diesel. It's a flush mechanism. You Def have a lift pump issue. If you tap the metal on the fuse to the buss bolt like the photo I placed. And the top of the ffm is open. It should spray if the lift pump is good. If it doesn't than it's a bad lift pump. Simple enough. How ever more than likely the ops Secondary trigger is bad. That is where the ops mod comes into play. But even with the ops mod the ops secondary trigger may fail. If the lift pump isn't working on A n/a diesel it's fairly noticeable On a turbo it's like wtf just happened! So go place the. Metal on the top of the fuse to the 12v power supply on the fire wall (see image) and check for lift pump. Operation.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^ My truck was a DOG when the lift pump quit. If you can't open the T handle that's mounted to the thermostat housing without having running issues, the lift pump isn't working at all. You need to look into that. It's fed off the oil pressure sensor (OPS) when the engine is running. It is fed power through the fuel pump relay mounted on the firewall while the key is in the start position. The OPS is a very common failure point, and the pump itself isn't overly reliable either.

Johnny89345

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed the oil pressure sensor with no change to the key on lp running issue. When i touched the lp fuse to the terminal fuel came out of the fuel filter. It didnt quite spray but it flowed. Whats next guys?