5 speed manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J hemi

Reaction score
Hi I've got a 1990 350 manual nv3500 rcsb the motors bin mildly breathed on headers ,carb ,cam ,and modified heads it also has 285/40/17 tyres the issue I'm having is the gear change is so slow even with a hurst shifter is this just a carchistic of this transmision there's not many of these trucks here and mostly auto so it's hard to compare any thoughts?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It's that stock clutch. Mines the same. Revs get up, shifts slow down. Even with the Hurst shifter. Gotta go to a better 'performance' one.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Same with my NV4500. "Quick shifting" isn't how I would describe my trans... maybe "Slow but Deliberate"

J hemi

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses I thought about the clutch and have been out for a drive it could be clutch dragging I might just have to try replacing it and see

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I run a center force dual friction clutch ...nv 3500 4x4 with a hurst shifter and a 120 degree extension that allows for a closer shift and I run synthetic in the trans. ...never had a problem in 10 years....

J hemi

Reaction score
Had an chance to get it on a ramp today noticed whoever put the box in last had fitted the wrong bolts so it was not tight against the block ! Some new bolts and its sorted but changeing fliud to fully synthetic tomorrow