5 or 6 speed auto transmission Conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
He needs to be looking into why his torque converter is not locking, or if it is, a double overdrive setup if he wants to keep the current gears.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another vote here for torque converter. Assuming your 35s measure closer to 33s, your rpm at 80 should be about 2340.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Torque Converter Locks up boys... did it multiple times today. tap the brake while its locked up cruising and it un locks and the RPM's go up, its been revving that high for a decade since ive had it.

Maybe I have lower gears then I think.... But I doubt it, when I bought the truck, he specifically told me the transmission took a **** at 60k and it was replaced by the dealer and he stripped the gears when it had a 6" lift and 33's, he told me he put 4.10's Detroit Locker in.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Did the PO do the gear change himself?
If not, maybe the PO was mistaken. Seems to me he'd be in that kinda RPM range with those tires & 4.56's.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Did the PO do the gear change himself?
If not, maybe the PO was mistaken. Seems to me he'd be in that kinda RPM range with those tires & 4.56's.

he said he did the swap with him and his dad.

now im curious...

Last edited:

98_k1500

Reaction score
Did a little investigating yesterday afternoon, and i can assure you, his lockup is working and he has 4.10 gears. These calculators are not accurate. I borrowed a gps and plugged up my scanner. 2620 rpm at 80 mph. My speedo shows 74 at that speed, but it has not been corrected. Sounds like you are exactly where mine is.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
cool man, thanks for doing that........you guys had me all worried.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Ur welcome. That does seem high for such a large tire, but with mine being 5 speed, im pretty sure my new clutch is not slipping while cruising down the road lol. Looks like your best option here is to find a 3.73 or 3.42 rear end and swap it in. Im sure someone will buy yours with the 4.10s to recoup the cost of it. With yours not being a 4x4, not having enough power to turn the tires should not be a problem. I ran 35" baja claws on my k1500 on 3.73s and never had an issue with a lack of power at all.