5.7 tbi stalling at idle and running out of options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Grab a timing light, somebody has one or buy one for fifty bucks, disconnect the timing bypass near blower motor. Set to ten degrees before. Grab a replacement icm,check the dist reluctor for corrosion and replace the spark module on the top of the valve cover rh side, cause of the knock code. And for crying out loud don't put a carb on it. Holy . Lazy answer. Don't be lazy. Fixing that TBI is easy and fairly inexpensive. Be the best running engine you'll ever own.

Sent from my C625a using Tapatalk

Kglazier

Reaction score
I believe the iac is in here. Check that out.
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?p=264596

Also, your timing is controlled by the computer. By setting the properly it must be disconnected from the computer, and that is only base timing at idle.

The only other thing I could possibly think of would be bad injectors, or an o2 sensor.

Sent from ®obland

That is where I got the instructions for ejecting the pintle and installation instructions. I have a timing light I was going to do it myself and don't worry as I have already said a carb is NOT an option. I am getting the icm tested today but what is the spark module?

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Spark modal is in the dizzy. Instead of having points and weights to control your timing like on the old cars, you have a module that is connect to the computer which controls your timing curve under acceleration.

Sent from ®obland

Kglazier

Reaction score
Ok I was confused once Dave said its on the right valve cover he made it sound like it was two different parts but the icm is the spark module he refered to correct? I have a spare dizzy in the garage I will be taking the icm from that to get tested as well. Thanks for clearing that up

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
This is what autozone said

1InspectEGR ValveEGR Valve Sticking Open/Leaking.
2InspectIdle Air Control ValveIAC Valve Sticking or Faulty.
3InspectMass Air Flow SensorDamaged, Loose, or Faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor or Circuit.

but yeah. He is right it should be right above the egr balve on the passenger side. I was thinking the pick up in the dizzy.

You must be registered for see images

Kglazier

Reaction score
should look like this
You must be registered for see images

Yep that's what I thought I have both of them ready to get tested I am also going to pick up a new cap and rotor due to my rotor looks like it is arcing near the button and the prongs in the cap look pretty chewed up. I am also going to pick up some NGK tr55s since it has ac delco coppers in it! Just waiting for the wife toget home so I can steal her rondapoo

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Yeah the icm is in the dist, the spark/knock module is the flat five or six pin module on the valve cover, I'm sure 95 tbi still has it.

Kglazier

Reaction score
Yeah the icm is in the dist, the spark/knock module is the flat five or six pin module on the valve cover, I'm sure 95 tbi still has it.

ok I took both ICMs to be tested and theone from the truck failed twice within 30 seconds and my spare passed 3 times so I swapped them out and changed plugs and wires and I cannot get it to stall I do still have a slight miss though and will look into that when I reset my base timing. As for the spark/knock module I don't think I havethat. I want to thank everyone for the quick responses and awesome suggestions toget this problem resolved my next step would have involved a brick and a tree so thank you

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok I took both ICMs to be tested and theone from the truck failed twice within 30 seconds and my spare passed 3 times so I swapped them out and changed plugs and wires and I cannot get it to stall I do still have a slight miss though and will look into that when I reset my base timing. As for the spark/knock module I don't think I havethat. I want to thank everyone for the quick responses and awesome suggestions toget this problem resolved my next step would have involved a brick and a tree so thank you

Glad it was something you had a spare for that worked....lol Everyone I know seems to forget about the ICM and always thinks IAC..which it still could have been but I've seen and dealt with more ICM's going bad then IAC's so its usually my first suggestion to get checked, and have learned the symptoms from personal experiences.... Did you remember to get the goop to put back under the one you put back in. Its a heat transfer type of goop, and with out it the module can get hot fast and die even fast......