5.3 and trans swap into a 97

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

livinginh

Reaction score
Ok guys, I gave up on my idea of using the older 5.7 and trans in my 97. I picked up a complete 2001 suburban, its rusty but has a great 5.3 and trans. Being I have motor trans and computer, how hard of swap will this be putting it in my 97 suburban? Ive found alot of info on motor alone swaps, but nothing on using everything. Can someone tell me what Im in for or point me to a detailed guild of what I will need? Thanks

livinginh

Reaction score
Anybody? I mainly just need to know if i can use 5.3 motor trans and transfer case out of the 2001 into my 1997? Theres plenty of info on motor swaps but not the whole

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Get wiring diagrams of both vehicles. And decide how much of each you want to use. Personally I would pull all drivetrain components and all the wiring, computer and gauges/radio. You are in for a very detailed and in depth endeavor. But if you pull everything from the suburban that the computer talks to, it will never know the difference. There are hundreds of different ways to do it. Or go carbed with a stand alone computer for timing. But ultimately you will have to be the deciding factor in which way to go.

livinginh

Reaction score
That seems like more work then it's worth, gauges are completely different from 97 to 01.
My understanding for the engine it's just a case of motor mounts and using the engine harness and computer from the donor truck. And a couple small things.

My issue is the trans, wiring. Looks like I'm just going to have to dive in and see what happens.

Boomer MN

Reaction score
That seems like more work then it's worth, gauges are completely different from 97 to 01.
My understanding for the engine it's just a case of motor mounts and using the engine harness and computer from the donor truck. And a couple small things.

My issue is the trans, wiring. Looks like I'm just going to have to dive in and see what happens.
This all depends on your abilities. Removing the old engine and putting the new engine in is a days work. Then it gets interesting!! You need to do lots of homework before you do anything.Lots of good info out there on this site, LS1truck, Youtube, magazines etc. Questions like what is the desired performance level of the new engine? Electric Fans? AC Bracket? Headers? Do you rebuild the trans while you are upgrading the engine? Stand alone aftermarket harness or repinning the 97?
I am so pleased with my LS conversion. Runs great - much better fuel mileage, lots torque ( I replaced a 305) But, the electrical and small things will challenge you!
BoomerMN

jonny5islive

Reaction score
I'm kinda doing the sane swap but i have lm7 with z06 cam,long tube headers ,etc 98 gmc ,and I'm also doing black box to 0411 swap ,

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems to me it would be just as much involved as just the motor swap, motor and tranny and computor should all function just like it's in the 02, I wouldn't go so far as to integrate the new gauges and radio unless your going to some how stuff the 02 dash in there then repin for your sensors, I got a built 355 I'm about to try and sell, there's about 4500 in it, but won't work for me to be able to keep getting my truck inspected, and will cost more money then it's worth compared to the what seems like simplicity with a ls swap, haven't bit the bullet yet but seems like more electrical work then mechanical from what I've seen, then you need hptuners or a friend with it or a mail order tune. Seem to recall something about needing to drill frame for new tranny cross member mount because tranny length is a bit off..

livinginh

Reaction score
Mechanical abilities are not an issue, but seems my main issue will be wiring.
I have both complete vehicles so what ever I need from the donor will be here. You all are making it seem really hard but from what read as long as i have the harness and computer from the 01 it's just a matter of pining for gauges right?

jonny5islive

Reaction score
I have 4l60e in mine ,I'm just going to use 1inch set back plates ,and for sensors I'm going with adapter fittings ,my fuel pump should work ,