4X4 Help (hope this is the right section)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsonhd

Reaction score
here is the detail 1995 4x4 Yukon 4 door SLT with a 5.7, well it snowed here in GA and I mean enough to play in and went out to do some back road riding and found that I have no 4 wheel drive, here is what I read and have done, the actuator is prone to fail (replaced @ $80.00 - and yep no lock on front wheels) then tried the transfer case switch (and $40.00 later - yeap no 4x4) so I went and tried to trouble shoot the actuator took old unit and put 12 volt to it and bam it popped out, took the new one out and installed 12 volts and yeap that one is good also, so went to the transfer case switch and yeap it was good also, I am at a lost now, the transfer case is a manual shift and when I go into 4lo it is working as it is really geared low and may top out at 35mph, 4 hi seems to work also, I am not getting a 4X4 light inside on the floor shifter so I replaced the bulb and no difference, so I found the other 2 pin on the differental and checked it by jumping a cross the body wire and yeap now I have a 4X4 light so I thought this may have been it so I backed down into the snow and yeap you may have guessed no front 4x4, I got the truck back out and took the actuator out of the housing and turned on ign switch, the actuator would not do anything in 2 wheel hi but as soon as I would shift to 4 lo or 4 hi the actuator would pop out so I think that this part is good, I tried to push in on the shift fork in the differental case to make sure it would slide and it would a small amount, so I think this is ok, so I am now lost and was wondering what may be wrong and why the front axel will not lock into 4X4, so if anyone has any suggestions, ideals or have info on any books to trouble shoot this problem I would be very greatfull, this is my first 4x4 so I am new so any advice is needed, do you think that something may be broken or damaged in the hub locks, when in 4 hi or 4 lo I do not hear any weird or abnormal sounds

thank you in advance for any and all replies, also I have a abs light on in the dash and was wondering if this may have anything to do with it but I tried disconnecting the abs unit and this made no difference in the operation, I read that when 4x4 is engaged that it disables the abs - so could this be the culprit

so any and all help would be great

thanks
Jerry

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im kind of confused eith the post a little but. Not to question you but have you checked the fluid in the t case? I had it before when my t case was low and it would not engage.

Sent from my camo'ed GS3