4x4 cam bolts and alignment questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok just tore apart my 88 k1500 recently for front end rebuild. I know you can buy bigger cam plates for alignment, but mine seem to be as big as possible due to the flange on both sides and the cam plate hits those. My bolts are in the further outer position, furthest out away from the frame as they can be.

My torsion bars are cranked up too, and my DS tire the top leans in, so it needs to come out on the top. The ps is in the same position cam bolt wise, but I don't notice any problems with it. The ds squeals around corners, fast or slow, usually gotta take them alot slower then normal. The inner part of that tire has worn down too.

I have not took it for an alignment yet, but plan to sometime very soon. I'm curious if they are gonna say they can't align it though since it seems to be as far out as possible. What would you think?

Also I considered the balljoint flip to help it, not sure if that would help or hurt the upper tire tip in problem.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep mines just slots no knockouts.

your truck you said has the ball joints stock in the flipped position correct?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's what makes me think of doing it and it be safe esp. if the factory did it that way, just unsure if it's gonna help or hurt my alignment.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i have no clue what you are talking about with the ball joints. can you post up a pic? hell i did alignment for GM for better part of 10 years and i can't follow what you're talking about w the ball joints.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what I'm talking about is instead of them sitting on top of the control arm and bolting down when you flip them they are under the control arm and bolt down. I got pics of the bolted up the reg. stock way that's it. Mines not flipped.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you run stock rims the balljoint flip wont work, the control arms will rub on the rims. Should be able to get it alligned, was able to get mine within spec when it was fully cranked. Had knockouts removed, you can even knotch it a little more if needed.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok thanks for the info I do have stock 16's and since they won't clear looks like I aint gonna be flippin' them.