4l80e install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My first time installing an automatic transmission. I've done manuals in the past which require manually shifting to neutral before installing. Is this the same for a 4l80e? If so, what position would the lever be in for neutral?

haroldwca

Reaction score
It won't matter what position it's in on the install. Once everything is in, you will want to make sure that the shifter correctly shifts to each gear without binding and that the detents line up with your factory gear indicator on the dash. It's typically adjustable, but I'm not up-close familiar with the 4L80e.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It won't matter what position it's in on the install. Once everything is in, you will want to make sure that the shifter correctly shifts to each gear without binding and that the detents line up with your factory gear indicator on the dash. It's typically adjustable, but I'm not up-close familiar with the 4L80e.
Thank you

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You WILL want to make sure the torque converter is fully seated. It'll drop in a few times. Once the trans is bolted up, there should be something on the order of 1/4" gap between the flex plate and torque converter when you shove it all the way down. You should have to pull the converter up to the flex plate to bolt it up.

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You WILL want to make sure the torque converter is fully seated. It'll drop in a few times. Once the trans is bolted up, there should be something on the order of 1/4" gap between the flex plate and torque converter when you shove it all the way down. You should have to pull the converter up to the flex plate to bolt it up.
Will this crush the trans pump if you don’t have fully seated? I made that mistake on a 4l60e.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You WILL want to make sure the torque converter is fully seated. It'll drop in a few times.

Restating: The converter should fully seat into the transmission pump. Turn the converter slowly and it may "drop in" when the slots on the converter's hub engage with the pump. Do this with the trans out of the vehicle (obviously).

Once the trans is bolted up, there should be something on the order of 1/4" gap between the flex plate and torque converter when you shove it all the way down. You should have to pull the converter up to the flex plate to bolt it up.

Restating: One should see some sort of notable gap (I might have guessed 1/8") when the trans is bolted-up to the engine and the converter is still "buried" into the pump (see the step above).

Finally, by hand, grab a couple of the mounting ears on the converter (or grab it by the body) and shove it toward the flexplate. It should move smoothly into position (in my experience anyway), with the converter's "snout" (that little jobbie in the converter's center that acts as a pilot) buried in the corresponding center position of the flexplate, and the converter's mounting lugs against the flexplate.

I haven't bolted-up a million automatics, maybe four or five (most recently, last Nov). The process was straight-fwd.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should get three clunks when installing the torque converter. As you push it back you'll hear it hit. Rotate it while pushing inward and it will slide in and clunk again. Then rotate and push inward again and you'll hear it clunk a third time. So long as it doesn't slide back out, you are ready to bolt. I've had torque converters skip a clunk and go right in, and I always pull them back out and verify the clunks. You really don't want to dork this up. Three clunks and you're golden.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Definitely check the cable. Old as our trucks are it might not adjust. Mine crumbled. Halfway have new one installed. I think it's why mine wouldn't fully engage reverse as it was 1/4-3/8 inch off thru the range.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely check the cable. Old as our trucks are it might not adjust. Mine crumbled. Halfway have new one installed. I think it's why mine wouldn't fully engage reverse as it was 1/4-3/8 inch off thru the range.

If it hasn't crumbled, there is an adjustment down at the transmission. Mine was off a couple clicks when I swapped from 4L60 to 4L80.