4l60e shift linkage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swapped my th700 for a 4l60e, don't know what year it is though. Can I still use the old shift linkage or do I need a cable? Apparently it is also missing the Neutral Safety Switch, is it only used to prevent starting when it is in gear?

You must be registered for see images attach

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that with a column shift?

Which truck, you have many in your signature :hmm:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
By the way it always helps to give at least a little bit of info like what year your truck is, other mods, etc. I had to browse through your older posts to see that you're installing this in an '89 and you already know you need a standalone controller to operate it.

That transmission is a mid-'97-up as evidenced by the separate bellhousing. Earlier ones look more like your old 700R4 with the bellhousing/case as one piece.

From '95-up they have a range switch (or neutral safety switch, if you please) that fits over the shift stud, that's why the stud is longer than earlier transmissions. Its primary function is just like the one at the bottom of your older style column; it prevents starting unless in park or neutral, and also provides the reverse light switch. The other function the '95-up switch provides is the input to the gear indicator LED's in the dash cluster.

'95-up shifting is done by cable, but there shouldn't be anything stopping you from connecting your older style rod linkage to it providing you can make the bracket for it fit the stud. Might even be able to swap the stud out for one from the older type transmission. Wouldn't know; haven't tried.

Richard

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your good explanation.

I'll keep the rod linkage but it will need to be adapted slightly, it seems to be to long. First I need to get the range selector to measure to correct length of the rod.

Any idea how it is wired since I don't have it on my '89?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Why would you obtain and wire up the 95-up style switch when you already have one on your '89 column?

Richard

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
because I have the interior of a '96?

but still have the column of my 89 so indeed, I suppose that won't be needed in that case.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
because I have the interior of a '96?

but still have the column of my 89 so indeed, I suppose that won't be needed in that case.

Well then there ya go, as I said earlier -

By the way it always helps to give at least a little bit of info like what year your truck is, other mods, etc.

Had no idea you had the newer interior installed. If you want the gear indicator in the 95-up dash to work you'll need the 95-up range switch down there on the transmission. Wiring it...I don't have any of that info, but diagrams are out there, probably find some online.

Richard