4L60E leaking from either front seal or pump gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McSweeney

Reaction score
Hi i have a 97 c1500 with a 4L60E trans and i though it was leaking from the pan but upon closer inspection, i realized its leaking from right above it. Looks like its right by the bottom 2 bolts for the front pump. The transmission was just rebuilt and i would take it back but its 4 hours away and im worried ill damage the trans if it leaks too much. Has anyone had this issue or replace the gasket without removing the trans? Ill try to upload a picture

McSweeney

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

As you should be able to see the tranny fluid is right by the bolts on the lower side of the pump. Im assuming the gasket so the question is there a quick fix or something

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that looks like it is coming from the pump. Those pump bolts have an o-ring and I've heard they can sometimes leak too. The problem is you can't remove the pump without pulling out the transmission (also need to remove the torque converter).

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Guess: Not the pump gasket, it's more likely to be the seal at the torque converter neck. The hot fluid flows downward after leaking out. Of course, the fluid also gets blown around by the under-truck air flow, too.