4L60E hydraulic pipes washers or no washers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seza

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As ever this is a great forum - a big thank you to all those that make it possible,

my 4l60e on a 1994 Burban K1500 been rebuilt recently, running perfectly fine after the rebuild,
but suddenly it developed a major fluid leak inbetween the actual pipe and the bolt that hold it onto the tranny :(
we are not sure if the hydraulic pipes to/from radiator need washers/O-rings at the tranny end inside where
the pipe flange go [see pic]
my brother who disconnected the pipes initially rekon there were NO washers

your quick reply will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20220411_174612.jpg
    IMG_20220411_174612.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 4

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Hydraulic pipes". :) Most everyone calls 'em "transmission cooler tubes".

For the record, "pipes" are measured by inside diameter. A half-inch pipe has a half-inch fluid passage or close to it. "Tubes" are measured by outside diameter. A 5/16 tube--like most trans cooler tubes--is 5/16 on the outside, the fluid passage is smaller by the thickness of the tube wall.

No washers. Seals on the inverted taper. The tube should be double-flared seamless steel, secured to the inverted-flare adapter with a tube nut. (There are no "bolts")

Cracked flares are somewhat common.

Aftermarket stainless steel tubes are hard, don't conform well. THEY can be tough to seal. There is such a thing as copper sealing washers. They're not common. I've never seen them, but I've heard they exist from folks I trust.

Last edited:

seza

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many thanks - Schurkey for the comprehensive reply,
"you learn new thing every day" as they say - never knew that about the dif between pipes n tubes!