4l60e Geeks: Trick to getting the Forward Clutch Piston back in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok tranny geeks, I need some help.

I recently started refreshing and replacing some parts within the 4l60e and I am having one hell of a time putting the forward clutch piston back on the input shaft. I have trashed one seal and almost busted another. The last time I rebuilt a 4l60e was about 12 years ago and I don't remember having a problem with this last time. I have tried helping the seal with my thinnest feeler gauge as well as using the special plastic tool that came with the rebuild kit. It doesn't matter how much trans assembly lube I put on it, I can't get it to go down without forcing it and possible tearing up yet another seal.

Anyone have any tricks?

Also want to shout out to Rhino Transmissions (Rhino on here) for the exceptional service and help with parts.

cjcarlin

Reaction score
I recently built my first one and had a problem in the same area. Finally gave up and ordered a set of pistons with bonded seals. Went together really easy and they should last a lot longer than the early style lip seals. If you go this way make sure to get the return spring too, they're different. I tried to order mine from rhino. Got an answer machine when I called, left a message and they have not returned my call yet. Bought em off ebay.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

On a side note, never had any issue with Rhino. I also sent him PMs as well. We stay in contact all the time. Never really had any issues.