4l60e 2-3 shift Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris2323

Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 with a gm remanufactured 4l60e. The 2-3 upshift is harsh and I dont know what to do. It is worse at low rpms, and almost non existent at high rpms. Any idea what could be causing this? Im almost ready to give up and get another transmission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From GM manual, looks like no 1 cause.

I assume no codes and issue just started?

looks like issue is mechanical.

You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only 2-3 shift is harsh? My 1500 Silverado does this and it's worse on the 1-2 shift, less so on the 2-3 shift. I've got a P1870 code. Mine only does it when I get on the highway for about 20 minutes and get back on the street...

I believe it's the valve body. You can get a replacement valve body for around from Rockauto for $200 and try to replace it yourself. There's videos out there, but the tranny is always on a bench. There's also a kit where you ream out a hole...I don't know much about transmissions, so I don't know what this entails. I think I read on some GM manual or TSB it said if tranny oil pan doesn't have particles you can just do the valve body job...

I called a shop and they said about $600 to fix it...

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine shifts hard af from 1-2 if I shift manually. Does yours chatter at lower rpms too?

chris2323

Reaction score
Mine mostly does it during the 2-3 shift, but once in a while it will happen 1-2 also. No codes and i have the oem tire size. I replaced the torque converter recently because it would shudder really bad once it went into lockup. Not sure if this problem is related