454 upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Im doing research on mods for the 454 to upgrade its performance. Now I haven't actually took the truck for a good ride yet, but it is ALL original. So I figured I do abit of research, possibly improve gas mileage, or hell, make more power!! So a few questions,

Can I do the TBI mod on it?
Would it make a difference running vortec heads on the 454, I read place they say no...

Im planning on running dual exhaust and header setup, I may even do an MSD wires/coil setup

I wouldn't mind possibly changing the cam aswell.

Also, what is the best manual tranny for these beasts? Id love to make it manual...

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
BBC + Stick = NV4500.
There's 2 models. Early = granny gear low. I'd say use the later one, without that ultra low 1st. gear.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ditch fuel injection. whatcha need is a nice weiand 8-71 with dual holley 750 blower carbs and a big hole through your hood :gr_grin:

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya what year?

If it is a TBI which seems to be the case, then do all the normal TBI mods, air tube and filter housing mods, definitely a set of longtubes and free flowing exhaust.
Any tune up parts should be ACDelco, no MSD crap as their isn't going to be a gain. Really the only good ignition upgrades are advancing time a few degrees, changing the ignition module to a "369" model from another truck from the junkyard (assuming the 454 and 350 used the same dizzy)